Grant river 3/25 & 3/26

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

I was able to spend a little time on the streams this weekend. After only catching 5 fish the week before in the designated trout water I decided to focus on the Grant miles downstream of the designated trout water.

I started Saturday afternoon around 4:30pm. The stream was extremely clear although the sky was overcast. I started throwing a Copper Super Bow and after about 10 minutes was able to land a 10 inch fish. I switched to a Gold Number 9 floating Rapala and immediately started catching fish. Most fish came from riffles where it dropped off into the deeper hole. I did manage to land a beautiful 19 incher though in a deep pool in the stiller water. Most fish were in the 14 to 18 inch range.

On Sunday a friend and I decided to try some water even farther downstream. On this day the clear water and sunny sky seemed to get the best of us. We threw Super Bow and Panther Martin spinners without any success. I tried a jointed Rapala without success too. We decided to fish upstream near where I had success the day before. Spinners failed again but I did manage to land 5 smaller trout (9 to 13 inches) on the gold rapalas. The fish seemed to be holding in the riffles again. All in all, not an entirely bad weekend.

For the last 3 years the Dnr has been planting a “wild strain” of trout in our area streams. I was wondering if they have been planting them in your streams too and if they have hurt or helped fishing in your area? I’ve got some pretty strong feelings on this subject but I would like to hear from a couple of you first before I comment.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

what does that mean “wild strain” ??

birdman
    Lancaster, WI

I’m not sure of the technical term for the trout that are being stocked now. This strain of trout only reaches about 16 inches in length when full grown and are skinnier than the trout they used to stock. They are supposed to be better able to reproduce on their own though.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.