3/11/06 browns

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Finally had a chance to trout fish this year. I targeted a downstream section of a trout stream that is not even classified as trout water. The water was somewhat dirty but still very fishable.

I started with a Super Bow Spinner (silver) and immediately started catching fish. With the muddy water the flash of the spinner definitely seemed to attract them. Fish size ranged from around 10 inches up to around 17″. It seemed that the fish were holding in the riffles right where it dropped off into deeper water. I tried a Number 9 Gold Rapala on the way back and managed to catch 3 fish on that also. I was hoping to get into a big brown but today didn’t seem to be a big fish day.

All the fish I caught today were pretty skinny. Hopefully the wild strain of trout that they’re stocking farther upstream get a little bigger than what I caught today. I read in the DNR fishing report that the adult size of those trout are only around 15 inches. It would be pretty dissapointing if we lose the ability to catch 20″ fish just so we can have a “wild” strain of trout.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.