trout after dark

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Was wondering if anyone has tried fishing for trout after it gets dark? Was fishing last night an hour before dark and the last 10 minutes of light I started to catch fish. When it got so dark I couldn’t see where my lure landed I figured it was time to head home. I’ve heard of people using live bait at night but don’t know how successful they were. Anyone ever try this?

JimW
    SE MN

Birdman,
    I have tried it a couple times. However, my patience for dark fishing isn’t there for what it takes. I recommend
    finding one of your favorite stretches with a couple key ingredients. Deeper water adjacent to faster riffles, rapids or runs!
    A place that has enough room for casting error!

Make sure you check your regs! Not sure about Wisconsin, but in Mn, can’t do it past 11:00pm!

Kind of an old and strange reg, but it’s there!

Don’t just settle with live bait either, try using artificials as well. There are night hatches and hard core minnow feeds!
    So throwing a very shiny rap or spinner occasionally and/or fly fishing with luminescent streamers.

Let us know how you do!!!

Jim W

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

I’ve done the Dark fishing, Just sat by My favorite deep hole and fished cut bait.(chubs caught early) I’ve had mixed success,My largest was a 24 in, and sometimes nothing Larger than 12 in…But they do seem to be fairly active…and the thrill of night fishing when everthing seems so completely different, is a thrill in itself……I’m NOT scared of the dark………(REALLY!!)

SWANY

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.