early season opener….

• tie1on
    La Crosse, WI

anyone get out today?? How did you fair…it was a beautiful day and weekend.

Arzie
    East Bethel, Minnesota

We went to the “freeze your butt of tourney” today and didn’t do anything but just that!!! Some people did pretty damn good! I don’t know want the winning total for five fish was but I did see one catch come in at 18 1/2 pounds I believe. Last I heard the largest fish was a 7 3/4 pound eye! Some really nice fish caught, but not by me. All I caught was a 6 in Sauger! We had a great time though, especially being our first time river fishing! I’m sure they’ll be posting something soon about the tourney!
    Fish on!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I checked out some streams around here, and spotted some decent ones. I may go out this week.

BomberA

I made it out Sat night for about 2 hours. I probably landed about 6 10-12″ browns. I caught all on a mimmic minnow swimming it as fast as I could. After I lost the only two I had, I decided to call it quits. All my fish were in fast water. I had to cover a lot of water because as soon as I hooked one, every fish in the hole was gone.
    I want to get out this weekend, but the last time I drove past the Trimbelle, it looked pretty muddy.

Good Luck

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

You used those mimmic minnows for trout? What size?

BomberA

I think they were the smallest ones they make, 2″ or 2.5″

I made it out again Saturday and boy did it stink. I fished with a friend from 2 to 6 and landed one fish. I got quite a few chases with a few hook ups and boils but only landed one. The one I landed came on a small green jig with a small berkley twister tail. I knew there were a lot of fish in the hole so I let the jig go with the current and on about the 7th drift I finally got bit. I tried this technique a little longer but to no avail and it was too cold to sit at each hole for 20 minutes. I don’t know if trout react to cold water as dramatically as other fish but maybe the cold water and bright sun made for a slow day. Otherwise all my strikes and chases came on the mimmic minnow again.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Guys:

I know you have to pinch the barbs down, but the bait I caught more fish on than any other is a Worden’s Roostertail in the 1/8 oz black body with silver blade. I used to have the bait shops buy them for me by the card!!! If I got fish to only follow, I would then try a hand tied jig from a friend of mine.

Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.