5/26 The lonely angler

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

Streams were slightly stained with water flow a little higher than normal soooo…. where were the fisherman? I didn’t see anybody all afternoon.

Started fishing the Grant River with very little success considering the great shape the stream was in. Super Bows only produced a couple of small trout (less than 8 inches) so I switched to a No. 9 Rapala. Lost a very nice brown and had another huge fish swirl at it without striking it. It seems that this section of stream has very few of those 12 to 16 inchers that are so fun to catch. I’m starting to re-think using barbless hooks, I’ve lost a lot of nice trout this year. It was dissapointing with water conditions being so favorable that the bite wasn’t better.

Decided to take a drive and fish the Big Green River. When I got there the water was in great shape and yep…no one else around. Fished for about 3 hours and I would have to say I caught at least 50 trout. All trout came on a Silver Super Bow except for a couple on a rapala. Fish size varied greatly with the biggest fish being around 14 inches. The fish on the Green seemed to be everywhere. Fast and slow water both produced.

The Grant has been stocked in the area I’m fishing with some 20″+ brood stock last fall. I’m really starting to wonder if they cleaned out alot of the smaller trout in this section of creek. This section is C&R, so anglers wouldn’t have eliminated the smaller trout. Have any of you expierienced similiar results where brood stock have been released?

Not complaining about big fish(I love to catch the big trout)but I wonder when the local conservation club releases the stocked fish 6-8 inches long if their not being eaten by the broods before they even get a chance to be 12 inches long.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.