Riprapping Trout Streams

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

In SW Wisconsin alot of the trout streams have been rip rapped to decrease the effects of erosion and reduce the sedimentation that eventually ends up in the Mississippi. It supposedly increases the water flow resulting in lower water temperatures. Sounds like a win win situation but…..

it seems like where they have done these projects there is a shortage of bigger trout. It seems most of the big trout I’ve caught seemed to either come from riffles near a deep hole or from holes with overhead cover. (fallen trees, undercut banks, etc.) I asked someone from the conservation department about this and she replied that some of the projects have devices interwoven with the rocks to give the trout overhead cover. Unfortunately this requires more money and our county went with the rocks without the cover.

Have any of you experienced similiar results on streams such as these. I have caught alot of smaller trout on these riprap stretches, just not the big boys.

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

I live in southeastern mn. so The streams they have done here ALL have The rip rap you talk of …but also have the “bunkers you try and discribe..When they put them in here…They use logs and wire..to create a undercut bank…Hard to fish…but holds the big boys…..If all you have is rip rap…that just sends the water down…no stops…so I would suggest to find where the rip rap stops ..or find Where all the trees are snagging up….big trout need cover….and thats where you’ll find them…..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.