30″ brown….best lure?

• Jake_A

Ok, if you guys had one lure/bait to use to catch a 30″ brown trout on a stream (spinning gear, what would it be? After a few encounters with a particular trout this spring, I’m going crazy… For me, I would go with some sort of jerkbait-anyone have any suggestions as which ones to use? Looking at bigger sizes. Thanks guys

amundsonjon
    wi

spoons red and white and five of diamonds have worked 11/2 to 2″

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

cut chub soaked on hook an split shot in a deep hole.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

Big orange floating rapala.

Countdown rapala for deeper poles.

iskitofish

Sinking Brown Trout Ugly Duckling (if you can find one)

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I used to do a lot of trout fishing and when I would target a specific big fish time of day fished was more important than the lure used. Specifically… fish after dark. Big browns are incredibly wary but will drop their guard a bit after the sun hits the trees. If I knew where a big trout was holding I would sneak in as quietly as possible and position directly above the likely holding spot. My favorite lure was a #13 floating rap. I would let out enough line to put the lure as close as possible upstream of the holding spot and let the current impart most of the action. That big stickbait wiggling in front of Mr. Brown’s nose was hard to resist and accounted for almost all of my biggest stream browns.

Jake_A

I will be going after dark for sure Thanks for the info

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

chub or crawler.

4am

small buried hook.

no sinker.

no talc surgical gloves.

crawl to river bank.

cast backward over your head laying on ground. (practice in back yard)

works. he’s on the wall. (this was a LONG time before plastic mounts)

Jake_A

I think I might know the river you were fishing…

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Big rapala…

Mark

Jake_A

Well the fish likes chubs now I just can’t miss the hookset

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

James:

You didn’t write the article about trout and raps in the IN-Fish way back when, did you??? Just remembered it, might have to do a search…

Mark

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James:

You didn’t write the article about trout and raps in the IN-Fish way back when, did you??? Just remembered it, might have to do a search…

Mark

Nope. I learned most of what I know about catching big trout from Mel Haugstad. He doesn’t fish hardware all that much but the principals are still the same.

ozzyky
    On water

Post a pic of the beast when you get him. Got to be pushing 12 lbs or better if he’s that long. Here I was excited going after a 24 inch brown that I found and missed a few times this year. Your best odds are dusk and dawn. 1/2 hr. before till 1/2 hour after. Not sure what to tell you for a lure/bait. Depends on the style of the hole/run your fishing I guess

LenH
    Wisconsin

Quote:

cut chub soaked on hook an split shot in a deep hole.

at night…

Jake_A

If I do manage to catch it I WILL be posting pics. I actually found this trout when I was a kid just playing along the river…and I have been after him ever since.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.