Chubs for Trout

• Jake_A

Anyone ever had any luck using chubs as bait for big trout? Sick of catching the lil guys on crawlers…a local stream that I trout fish is LOADED with them, and thought they might be something to try. As I understand it they are legal to use if I catch them and use them only on the stream I am fishing…or am I off. I know that they cannot be transported to use…any info would be helpful. Thanks guys!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can’t verify the law, but I am 99% sure you are correct in using them in the same stream. Sounds like you’d be matching the hatch.

rmarshall

be patient, do not be afraid to use only the tail section(cut at anal port), use circle hooks (#2) and my personal favorite for fast water and aggresive big boys, reverse fillet the four or five ince chub (leaves the fillets attatched to the head) sit down and hold on.

Jake_A

Thanks for the info. So anyone have a dynamite rig for slaying chubs?

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I’m not sure where you are located but you can’t use minnows in Minnesota if it’s a designated trout stream.

Quote:

Stream Trout Regulations
    •Fishing hours for stream trout on inland waters are from one hour before sunrise to 11 p.m.
    •Only one line is allowed winter or summer when fishing on designated stream trout lakes and designated trout streams.
    •Possessing live minnows or using them for bait on designated stream trout lakes is prohibited. Only dried, frozen, or pickled (brined)minnows are allowed. Live leeches are legal to use.
    •Taking of any species, including catch and release angling, in designated trout waters during the closed trout season is prohibited.
    •Taking minnows or leeches from designated trout waters, except under special permit, is prohibited.
    •All stream trout must have head, tail, fins, and skin intact when being transported.
    •Rough fish may not be taken by spear, harpoon, archery, or dip net in designated trout lakes or streams.
    •The list of Designated Trout Lakes and Streams can be found on the DNR Web site.

Jake_A

Located in WI probably should have mentioned that

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I should have noticed this is in the WI Trout forum.

Good luck if you can use them. I wish we could use them here. I know they would produce some big fish.

Jake_A

Thanks! I will post my success if I have any!

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

chub tails is the wat to go

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

JakeA:

I couldn’t find anything on a brief look through the trout regs… I think you are ok with the understanding that you are using chubs you caught from the same stream. I have a call into a buddy of mine who is a CO up by me. I’ll let you know what I hear from him. Back in the day I used cut tails on the back of my spinners and would get some nicer fish…

Mark

CRA
    Onalaska, WI

let me begin by telling you that seeing that many chubs in a trout stream is not a good sign. Chubs is one of the tell tale signs that the stream is warm, trout prefer colder water temps; where chubs do not.

to answer your question, yes you can use chubs in streams that are not category 5: catch and release and artificial only.

If you are on a stream without those special regulations, and the chub is from the same stream, yes you can use them. Make sure you follow though with your trout bible to make sure you are in regulation free waters.

To answer the second part of your question, big browns LOVE chubs. It’s like giving crack to a baby (especially at night).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.