Trolling Motors and Graphs

• Dr. Pomoxis

I bought a new boat this fall. I have 2 Lowrance Carbon units, which I really like. I also have a Motorguide xi5. I prefer my old Minnkota terrova, and am planning on selling the MG and buying a Terrova. I used to have Humminbird and liked them also. Trying to decide if I want to sell everything and go back to MK and Hbird, or keep the Carbons.

My question is this:
    How much do you guys use your compatible MG/Lowrance or MK/Humminbird combos? Anybody run Minnkota and Lowrance?

First World problems, I know…

Dave maze
    Isanti

My humminbird graph is linked to my terrova. I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s so nice just setting back and letting the tm do all the work. I see new boats rolling off the showroom with random graph and tm combos all the time. I just have to assume those are the people who didn’t look into the new technology, or they just wanted to save a buck or two.

snelson223
    Austin MN

There is a lot of people that run minn kota with lowrance. It’s always a tough decision on what to put on your new boat.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I ran minnkota with link last boat. Found I didn’t use it that much. I now run Garmin graphs and ulterra for bow. I don’t miss anything. It depends on how much you will use the features as a pair. Most likely adapt without. Not sure what you will gain by switching to minnkota over the motorguide unless you go with ulterra. Pretty competitive features.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I see more and more people having 2 units. One for the sonar and one for the map

David Blais

Just buy the cheapest graph you can that will link to the trolling motor. The minnkota is a far better trolling motor then the motorguide.

I ran a helix 12 next to a gen 2 touch. I could not have both transducers on at the same time. Too much interference.

My new boat just came in, I odered two solix 12’s with the new terrova. Same technology as Ulterra, without the power stow and trim. I will post some picks once its rigged

TMF89

MG Xi5 w/Lowrance HDS 9 Gen 3/HDS 8 Gen 2 here, and I love it. I use it almost constantly in the sense that I tune the motor’s speed by watching the %/MPH info that the graph shows. I love being able to look at the graph to see exactly where my anchor lock/boat position (sometimes it’s not directly on top of itself in the wind/waves/current) is, and I can see where jogging in any given direction will put me on the contour map.

I’d put a trolling motor with GPS capability in the same league as down imaging, basically a relatively cheap add-on that I’d consider a “necessity” in today’s day and age (at least if you’re already in the market for a new graph/TM). Linking would go in the same category as side imaging, it’s very nice and helpful, but the price increase makes it less appealing to some guys.

mojogunter

Fish with what you like and are comfortable with. I know a couple guys that have the I-link and never use it. It sounded great on paper, but they never use it. If you used it in the past, and liked it better than the lowrance/motorguide. I would switch.

DTW

I use Helix and ulterra and absolutely love it!

CaptainMusky

I have lowrance graphs which are networked via the pinpoint gateway to the xi5. I can control my xi5 from my console GPS unit by just touching the screen. Its super sweet. Set the speed, change direction, navigate to a waypoint or spot on the graph, anchor at a spot or waypoint, etc.
    Is it a must have? probably not, but it sure makes things easier and offers some functionality that I never had before and now it would be difficult to do without.
    Could you use your lowrance with a terrova? Sure, but you are only going to be able to view the sonar.
    IMO I have found the xi5 to be a better motor than the terrovas I have used. Up until the most recent updated MK products the anchor mode was much more accurate on the xi5, its also Quieter, and less current draw at peak load are among the key differences.
    What makes you prefer the terrova over the xi5? I know the terrova has a much better pedal, but I never use one.
    I think you would enjoy the heck out of the pinpoint gateway connected to your Lowrance Carbon units.

Jonesy

Personally hummingbird will not be my main graph until the helix goes touchscreen. Even then I find lowrance graphs to be more user friendly.

I run a lowrance and a terrova. I don’t find myself needing anything more as far as features but I have also never used Ilink

tim hurley

Dave, buying a new boat this year-what do you recommend specifically for a brand of ‘Bird and terrova?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.