Trolling motor length and WX2200

• brentbullets

I know I read here somewhere but too lazy to read all the topics to find it. I am thinking real hard about ordering a new WX2200 and wondering if I need the 72” shaft? I think I read on here the 60” is enough? Can that really be so? I haven’t really looked at a 2200 yet. I did stop by a dealer last Friday on my way home from Leech and salesman was a jerk. Should have driven out of my way and gone to TBC. The place I stopped at he only wanted to sell me a Warrior and really didn’t have any thing good to say about the Skeeters.

So what say you? I will probably be asking a lot of questions so be ready and forgiving. Currently running a WX2190 and really like it but is a 2013 model in immaculate shape but most of you can understand.

Although I really like a 72” shaft on my 2200 I really don’t think it’s necessary on this hull as the bow rides quite a bit lower in the water than it’s predecessor the 2190.

With that said, If you haven’t had a chance to ride in a 2200 yet, you’re in for a treat. I haven’t met anyone yet that didn’t prefer the ride of the 2200 in comparison to the 2190. It’s a sweet machine!

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Is this the post you are talking about?

WX2060 & WX2200 Owners

Zach Poehler

Depends on what you’re doing..I have a 2019 WX2060 and got the 60” but wish I would’ve got the 72”. I do a lot of spot locking into the wind tossing jiggin raps and jigs in general, the wind in north central MN can get ridiculous at times and the waves will cause the t-motor to come out of the water. Don’t notice it near as much when just trolling along at .5 to 1.5 mph. It’s most noticeable on lakes with heavy boat traffic causing excess wake, especially on windy days the t-motor is working very hard to keep me planted. If you do go 72” a brace will be necessary, there’s a lot of force being put on the shaft when running in rough water..and trailering over bumpy roads.

brentbullets

Wondering why you say if running a 72” a brace would be necessary as I have been running one on my 2190 for 8 seasons now with out one. I understand the stress but am I missing something?

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Just remember if you are getting an ulterra you will loose about 6″ so a 72″ is actually 66″. I found out the hard way.

Jason

Just remember if you are getting an ulterra you will loose about 6″ so a 72″ is actually 66″. I found out the hard way.

I believe the newer lift assist models loose a few inches as well because of the housing. Distance is measured from bottom of head to top of motor housing.

I have a 72″ Ulterra and wouldn’t want to go any shorter on my setup.

Zach Poehler

I guess I can’t back that up with facts, I just see how my 60” can move a lot in inclement weather so I figured the 72” would be quite a bit worse. If you haven’t had any problems in your 2190 then no need in the 2200

brentbullets

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>supercat wrote:</div>

I believe the newer lift assist models loose a few inches as well because of the housing. Distance is measured from bottom of head to top of motor housing.

I have a 72″ Ulterra and wouldn’t want to go any shorter on my setup.

Are you running a 2200?

Jason

No I’m not running a 2200 but I thought I would chime in…I have a Alumacraft 205 Competitor.

I spot lock offen in large waves and if we are in the back of the boat even a 72″ will come out at times. I do feel that the boat/motor flex is more noticeable with a 112lb 72″ shaft as well especially when its running 7-9 speedwise while trying to hold position.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.