Trip Recommendations

• rjthehunter
    Brainerd

I am going to be taking a trip to either Devils or Red lake, Mid to late January. Target species is going to be walleye. Planning on spending nights in a hotel and fishing from my portable or on the ice weather permitting. Where would you go if you had the choice? They are both about 3 hours from me. Going to be taking my girlfriend out as a birthday present to get on some eyes! So where would you go? And also, any hotel recommendations for either lake?

holmsvc
    SE ND

I wouldn’t go to Devil’s unless you have a sled or tracks.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Hows the bite been on LOTW? I heard a not so good report a few weeks ago

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

been to red and lotw. would recommend lotw fish during the day not super early or super late. shoule be heating up. doesn’t stay slow long there.

busse3775
    Fargo, ND

Devils Lake has a lot of snow so it is tough to get around, have seen some really nice jumbo perch caught recently though. Red Lake can be pretty good but can also be dead Red, which more times than not its Dead Red. If you do go to Red you almost have to rent a sleeper on the ice. Lake of the Woods has had a pretty steady bite. They do have a decent amount of snow up there now so getting away from the crowds may be a little harder if you do not have a wheeler or sled. Have you taken into consideration Mille Lacs Lake? Bite has been really good out there, only draw back is you can only keep one fish.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

X100 for lotw, well worth it

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

LOTW is only an extra hour away 4 hours isn’t bad at all. How about hotels up there? I don’t want to pay for a sleeper so that’s out if the question unless they’ve got them for the price of a hotel!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I assume you like your girlfriend and want to keep her? If so, I would go to LOTW or Mille Lacs, they typically have a solid bite even in late January. Along with things girls like, such as warm bathrooms and places to get lunch. LOW and ML both have a ton of options for lodging, ML I’d look to the Red Door motel and LOW the Walleye Inn. If you are so/so on the girlfriend, go to Red and stay at the Shooks Motel (I’m sure it’s nice, just always reminds me of the Bates Motel), or Devils Lake and spend the weekend going off roading/digging out. You should find her true character out quickly! razz whistling razz

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

Many more options on LOTW’s over Red. Plenty of places to stay in Baudette or Warroad that offer comfort, food and maybe even some entertainment. Feeling adventurous, head up the NW Angle. Splurge and rent a house from a resort. Take her out in a heated bomber to fish in a heated house with a heated bathroom. A good resort will keep you on the fish.

There is a good layer of snow on LOTW’s but many options to drive out on various roads. We did really well this weekend. Better fishing seems to be in the deeper water (20 ft +).

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Thanks for all the help guys, I think we are going to be going to LOTW! Besides the options, I can keep more fish up there anyway as well! Assuming we get into good numbers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.