Trilene XL or XT – Saltwater beach fishing

• Bob P
    Shoreview MN

I recently bought a 7′ medium action travel fishing rod and a Penn Pursuit III 4000 spinning reel. I’ll be going on a family vacation in the area of Clearwater Beach, FL and plan to scrounge up some time to do some beach fishing. I plan to mostly be casting lures like Hopkins, Kastmaster, stickbaits, topwater plugs, etc.

I haven’t spooled up yet. I use mono and I usually just get spooled up at Fleet Farm. All my freshwater reels have Trilene XL and it’s worked fine for me, except when the unexpected northern saws me off while using senkos or small plugs. I’ve calculated that the reel will take #14 XL – 175 yds #14 XT – 132 yds. I’m leaning toward getting the XL.

Anyone think XT is a significantly better choice for saltwater beach fishing?

Thanks,
    Bob P

AnotherFisherman

I’d say you are fine with the XL, however, I have no saltwater beach fishing experience.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Extra tough could come into play with a rocky bottom. If it is truly a sandy beach, the XL will give you some extra distance which could come handy.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I have limited saltwater experience ( braid to a leader for what I have done) but I love XT for all my Great Lakes rigs. I swear the breaking strength is way higher.

Angler II

I recently bought a 7′ medium action travel fishing rod and a Penn Pursuit III 4000 spinning reel. I’ll be going on a family vacation in the area of Clearwater Beach, FL and plan to scrounge up some time to do some beach fishing. I plan to mostly be casting lures like Hopkins, Kastmaster, stickbaits, topwater plugs, etc.

I haven’t spooled up yet. I use mono and I usually just get spooled up at Fleet Farm. All my freshwater reels have Trilene XL and it’s worked fine for me, except when the unexpected northern saws me off while using senkos or small plugs. I’ve calculated that the reel will take #14 XL – 175 yds #14 XT – 132 yds. I’m leaning toward getting the XL.

Anyone think XT is a significantly better choice for saltwater beach fishing?

Thanks,
    Bob P

I’d go with braid to a floro leader. 20 lb braid and a 6’ 30 lb. floro leader.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am curious why saltwater factors into your decision?

Ron
    Victoria, mn

If you’re going to be casting the surf, you want as much distance as you can get to reach the fish. 15 or 20 lb braid will give you more distance and zero snarls.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Shouldn’t need to cast far at Clearwater, just fish the troughs within normal casting distance.

Now if fishing the east coast of Florida in the Atlantic a person should use braid otherwise your bait is just going to get dragged to shore or 100 yards down the beach.

Bob P
    Shoreview MN

“I am curious why saltwater factors into your decision?”

I guess you answered my question that the fact that it’s saltwater doesn’t matter. I didn’t know for sure.

Bob P

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ah, well there you go. )

Bob P
    Shoreview MN

I did get a little fishing in on my trip to Florida – Indian Rocks Beach. About 6 hours total for the 7 days. It was a family trip, not a fishing trip.

First day I got this guy (nice 22 inch snook), about 15 minutes in. Hooked another a few minutes later but didn’t land it. Got a small ladyfish also. Next day, same spot, I (not)hooked one on the 3rd cast, but it got off. It probably just bit the back of the swimbait and held on for a while. This was on the harbor side. No bites at all on the gulf side.

Bob P

Attachments:
    1. 20200307_155752.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.