Great days to be out fishing

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

So that’s what we did. Had my buddy Paul and his dad Don with me yesterday and in a couple hours I hit 9 saugers and one walleye. Biggest was 18″. We had 11 fish in the boat total.

Today, my buddies Jake, Ryan and Steve were with me together we had about 30 fish in 3 hrs or so, and I believe only 1 or 2 of em were walleyes. The rest were saugers. Biggest was about 18 again. Steve put on a clinic and had probably at least a dozen. I had about 12-13 myself. But we sure would have enjoyed seeing whatever Steve had on for 5-10 seconds before it busted him off. Drag screamed and I’m confident saying it was a large flatty.

The BFishN Tackle Moxi was a hot bite in Goldcracker, but other other baits seemed to work at times as well. As you can see, some of them are just footballs. Take a look at the pic…think they were aggressive??? I had to pry a few jaws open to get my Moxi back!

There’s nothing like the walleye thump as you’re letting a jig fall. It’s my cocaine!

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Wow and open water too? We’re jealous.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Have had mostly open water for a while here. But yesterday we did bust ice at the ramp to get in, and when we came back it was gone. Some bays are still frozen in, and may be slow to open with the impending weather. But today I think I got a little crispy in the sun.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Nice fish. Are they moving much water through the canal right now?

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks Jebb, was a great time out there. Just wish this weather would cooperate. Sunburn yesterday, froze today. I’m sick of this.

Compared to recent years with the high water, I’d say we’re back to ‘normal’ with them running it a bit slower right now. Usually it’s down in the morning, then rises in the afternoon as they generate power. Sure seemed to mess with our fishing about 3-4pm, which is common.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

Thanks for the info B. Now I just have to wait on a day off with decent weather.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ya….could be a while at this rate.

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

Nice pics Brian.

Good to see those Moxis getting some results!

I had planned on better weather over the weekend based on earlier forecasts and then when the forecast for Saturday and Sunday started to change I was wishing that there was anyway I could skip out on work Thursday or Friday. It just wasn’t possible though.

It was cold and slow for me on Saturday, but I hooked into a few. Will be watching the forecast now for anothoer warm day to get out. I have been buying new lures and soft plastics all winter. These things got to get tested.

jebb-hatch
    Kearney, Nebraska

I know what you mean about buying lures all winter. I get spring fever watching fishing shows, so when it’s to cold to go fishing I end up heading to Cabela’s and buying lures.
    My wife thinks I have a problem. I am beginning to believe her.

4fishing

$20 for groceries, $20 for lures – sounds fair to me!

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

I’m afraid it’s gonna be a while with the incoming weather we’re going to have. Aggravates me highly as I have Fri Sat Sun off. Lookin like a cleanin the house weekend to me.

huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

I already admit I have a problem.

Cranks are my crack.

whitetips2

Brian,

With the success you had, you might want to get out there as much as you can, whatever the weather. I believe the power district is planning to send a bunch of water down the canal soon, and that might blow all your fish out.

Daryl B.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

What fish? You guys were there netting them today!

shluppy
    Grand Island

Man, I’m ready to go fishing! Actually never tried the canal. I’ll get down there one day.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.