Trespassers

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Do you need to post your yard in the city?

Haha, posting your yard with No Trespassing signs? Stay off my lawn!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

100% agree with this. It’s not worth you life to act all tough and end up hurt or dead over someone trespassing on your land. Not long ago a well know past member here had 2 of his brother in laws shot when they confronted 2 teen trespassers at a vacant home they owned. One ended up dead and the other shot. I never did hear if the 2nd guy died or not. They had set up a trail camera in the home and when they realized someone was there the went to confront them. You never know who you’re dealing with these days. Lots of crazy people in this world.
    [/quote]

No one has to act tough when saying you are on private property and disrupting a hunt. Is a civil conversation not a thing with half of you guys ?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

In that specific situation posted I would definitely NOT have confronted them with the kid there. However, I would have went back and had the conversation face to face.

The trespassers I have dealt with in the past were receptive to the conversation/warning telling them to leave. I generally tell them this is private land, I am the owner, and you need to leave or I will contact the CO with your description. I ask them what direction they came from and instruct them the easiest way to leave the parcel. I don’t try to hide my presence or rapidly approach them either. Don’t make it a game.

When I hike land in May (mushrooms) I carry no trespassing signs in my backpack to update as I go or post in areas where it appears there may have been human traffic.

ThunderLund78

Interesting conversation everybody, appreciate the input whether you agree or disagree. Looking back, I’m very happy with how I handled it. Got my first batch of signs and heading back out there after work. Also going to call the local CO and talk to him, let him know if the incident and get any other advice.

Reef W

Somebody explain me this –
    The trespassing law is for “agricultural land” period.
    Why would you need to post Non-Ag, hunting land for example.
    Do you need to post your yard in the city?
    Where is the delineation?

97B.001 TRESPASS.
    Subdivision 1.Agricultural land definition. For purposes of this section, “agricultural land” means land:

That section defines agricultural land because later it says “agricultural land need not be posted”

Coletrain27

my dad ran into problems with trespassers a few years ago. after talking to the sheriffs and DNR many times he was told that if your land is not posted people can legally enter the land. if you ask them to leave then they must leave or they can be cited then.

they also stated if its ag land then they must get permission to enter even if its not posted.
    so basically if you own any “non ag” land and you dont want anyone on it then you better have it posted.

Signs must state “No Trespassing,” or similar words, in 2-inch high letters and have either the signature or the name and telephone number of the landowner, lessee or manager.
    Landowners, lessees, or authorized managers need only post their land once a year. The signs must be placed at intervals of 1,000 feet (500 feet in wooded areas) or signs may be placed at primary corners of each parcel and at access points to the property.

Gitchi Gummi

i remember how quickly that escalated here in Wisconsin . How different the trespass laws have changed here . Right now no need to post your land , it’s your responsibility to know if its private or not .

wow, I had never heard about this before. Thanks for sharing. I think I might have to pick that book up from the library next time I’m there.

MX1825

I always get a laugh watching the Warden TV shows. A CO will catch a trespasser and always the answer is “I didn’t see any signs” then show his tracks in the snow within 2 feet of the sign. doah rotflol

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.