Tree stand safety

• Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

So I have bowhunted for over 40 yrs now,mostly out of large hang ons and recently double ladders.but with all my years have rarely worn fall protection,very dumb I know.Oh, I have had harness’ in the past but have always opted out for reasons of discomfort or noise.Now as I get older my sense of balance is’nt what it used to be and fall protection is even more of a necessity than ever.
    This brings me to my question,what are some of your favorite setups and why?I am looking for something quiet,comfortable,and economical would’nt hurt,but not a priority.
    I have been thinking vest type with some type of lifeline,pushed my luck way to many years,typically sitting 12-15′,looking for thoughts and opinions.Also ditched tree steps in favor of climbing sticks long ago.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Will be interested to see the recommendations as well.

I’m a longtime rifle hunter with big, fixed, wooden tree stands and ladder stands, both with shooting rails. Now that I’ve taken up archery, the rail on most stands is in the way and has to be up or be taken off, so I, too, have determined it’s time to get a harness.

It will also make it easier to sell to my father who, at 72 needs to start wearing one as well.

Grouse

super_do
    St Michael, MN

X2 on Muddy!

Loomis13
    NULL

I think all safety harnesses are pretty good and my hunter safety system is comfy and quiet. One thing to consider is whether you want to wear it under or over your coat. What I have always done is put all my under clothes and then my harness; this is what I wear walking into the stand and then when I get to my stand I put the coat on over the harness and climb up. Has worked well for me. The only issue is it can kind of screw up a hood, but I rarely have my hood up anyway.

broth82

This is the one I’ve been using for several years now. It’s basically just like the muddy Diamond back, I like it a lot and just started using the linesmans belt for hanging stands and tree steps and that is awesome. No more hanging on with one hand and trying to attach a ratchet strap with the other.

Big Game Treestands Platinum Collection Diamond Back Deluxe Safety Harness

realtreeap10
    Over there

I can say that I didn’t wear one for some time until my father sorta yelled at me and bought me a harness. It’s a HSS vest with pockets and is reversible from camo to blaze. It’s a little bulkier than some but in early season it give me the pockets I need in the right place. After wearing it I find no reason not to wear one, for having to click together (3) buckles I find that more worth my life than not wearing one.

Figure out your hunting style, many people sit all day with limited standing while others stand all day with limited sitting. If you stand all day a smaller light weight harness might be best. Scentblocker has a tree spider one for $21 plus on their website right now, for you and your family $21 is the best thing for everyone’s peace of mind.

Hoyt4
    NULL

HSS for early season orange and camo for the later colder temps, I use muddy harness only under my jacket. I have had my jackets customized or bought with the slit for the strap to go through.

Use the lonewolf tree rope and clip instead of a buckle going around the tree provided by HSS.
    http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shop/Products/Carabiner-Rope-AssemblyLinemans-Belt__CRA.aspx
    This work easier then trying to get the buckles put on to me and more silent. Also we have been installing lifelines and hope to have them in most our trees next year. So this Lonewolf strap I would only use on out of twon trips or hang and hunt. Others make this style now but a lot still come with buckles.

broth82

For my linesman’s belt I made my own with a carabiner on both sides so when I’m in the stand and have my harness connected I can remove the lineman’s belt with no noise and but it in my pack. I do several hang and hunts and this is the only way to go.

Aaron

I wear a Tree Spider Micro Harness. It is very quiet and comfortable. I also wear a Scent Blocker jacket which is designed to go with the harness. It clips in the jacket and has a slot for the tether line to come out. They also make an auto belay device that will slowly lower you to the ground if you do fall out of the tree. All great stuff and when you are use to wearing it, you feel naked in the tree.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.