Victor 1.5 long spring

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have the Modine Hot Dawg (60K BTU) and very pleased with it.
    Watch which BTU unit they are selling you. Most “Basic” units are 30-45K BTU. I suggest you get a 60K BTU unit or higher. For the couple hundred dollars more, you will be more pleased with the performance.

Also, a sealed or seperate combustion chamber is a must have feature (also most building coddes require it)

Typical cost is $200-300 for gas piping, $35-60 for dedicated electrical outlet, $1,000 plus mark-up on the unit. (Go with a 60 – 75K BTU) and add for your venting.

Some of our reputable competitors use a reznor. I’m not personally familiar with them.

dea
    Hixton, WI

I second what Randy said.
    We install quite a few of the Modine Hot Dawg units in residential garages. They work very well.

We also have over the years installed Reznor units also – normally in light commercial applications.

We have not used any of the ADP units.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Ditto on the Modine Hot Dawg. I have a 40K in a 26×26 and it is more than enough even on the coldest of days.

mrwalleye
    MN

Hot Dawg all the way
    also Park Supply in Minneapolis has a thermostat that goes to 38 deg that will save you some $$$ its what I have in my garage and love it

ivanbrehmer
    Johnston, Iowa

anybody use any infrared type heaters?

superdave
    NE IA

I haven’t had any experience with the two you mention. But we have a Mr. Heater Big max 75k btu, and it works great. It heats our 28’x30′ with 16′ celing with no issues. Purchased it at Northern Tool. I installed it myself, just had the gas company come out and do the gas connection.

Good luck, it sure is nice having a heated garage!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

I haven’t had any experience with the two you mention. But we have a Mr. Heater Big max 75k btu, and it works great. It heats our 28’x30′ with 16′ celing with no issues. Purchased it at Northern Tool. I installed it myself, just had the gas company come out and do the gas connection.

Good luck, it sure is nice having a heated garage!

Exact same set up here, and I love it. I also put in 3-celing fan. I found some cheap fans at Home Depot, I think I paid $20.00 a piece. Best $60.00 I ever spent. Keeping the air moving helps a ton.

Enjoy the heated garage. While your at it, you might as well get a couch to go next to the fridge

jonathandeblieck
    quad cities, il

i installed a 45k from start to finish in my 24×30 with 8-1/2′ ceilings. takes about 15 min to get from cold to comfortable. since i don’t have enough ceiling space for a fan (lights, attic hatch, door, trolley) i turn the furnace fan to “on” instead of “auto” and that seams to help as that concrete stays cold for a long time. radiant is good if you plan to keep on for long amouts of time. it takes longer to heat and heats objects instead of the air. you also need more clearace around them. but they are more efficiant.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

not sure if you want more advice. buit here is my 2 cents:

good insulated and sealed garage doors.
    insulated walls and ceiling (if possible rocked and plastic sheeting)
    foor rake ( to avoid ice damns from the escaping heat)

Broncs

haywardbound
    New Brighton, MN

Quote:

I installed it myself, just had the gas company come out and do the gas connection.

Anyone know how much they charge for that?

superdave
    NE IA

I had to run new line about 20′ from the tank to the garage. I supplied all of the material, and I think they charged right around $100. That included pressure checking the system.

Also agree on the ceiling fans, they make a big difference!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Shouldn’t be more than $150 for the regulator and hookup. Assuming you supply the line. If you run it, I would think a hondo would about get you there.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

ran my own line. Then they came out and did the yearly inspeciton of the furnace, and he inspected that line at no charge. granted that was the same week I installed. and I do not think I spent more then 75.00 on teh whole the piping.

Broncs

hookem_9
    Hastings, MN

I’m in the same market, looking for a good garage heater for my detached garage. Any found on sale?
    Who was the gas company that ran the line and connected it for you?

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I wound up having a Reznor installed. The modine HotDawg was also considered. Came down to what the heating company worked with. I heard good things about both. Never got any feedback on the ADP Cayenne .

60,000 BTU Reznor.

Eric

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

60K in a 3 car garage You will be happy! I don’t know what you7r local building code is for the thermostat. In WI, there is a lock-out on the max temp. I think it is 56 degrees. Easy fix at a hardware store after occupancy for a few buck to buy a replacement without the lock-out!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

I have a half dozen of these single spring 1.5’s i wanna run as coon sets as well. If I throw them on drowner sets will they for the most part hold a coon long enough to drown them?

TeamBurbot

Run them on short chains and drowners it should do just fine. Short chains will get them down and out faster.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

exactly what my plan was but just wanted to hear it out of someone elses mouth!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.