Snare’s

• sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

If it’s one with the safetys on it plug it in and forget it.If it’s a cheaper one it could boil down batteries and ruin them.Most newer charges bring them up and then automatically hold in a maintain stage for long periods.

harlandd

its a minne-kota 3 bank.

shaley
    Milford IA

I take mine out and store in the basement personaly, but my boat sits outside all winter and I like having tehm inside just in case the cord gets unplugged and I don’t notice it

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’ve got a 3 bank Minnekota and I just keep it plugged in all winter.

PS. Thanks again Wade.

jig_head
    Elk Mound Wi

Where and how should you set your snares up to get some coyotes and fox?

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

That depends a lot on what kind of area you are trapping. Are there dens you know are for fox or coyote? If so there should be trails leading from them you can snare. If you just know they are in the area try and find trails they are using to hunt or patrol their area. Don’t overlook field roads or trails.

–Whitey

timmy

This season should be a good one for snaring with all the snow already. Fox and yotes(more so fox) are lazy. They tend to use the same pathways……and same footsteps day after day. I like to follow frozen creeks and hang a snare at every pinch point. Also I tend to hang a snare at sets of tracks that I cross. Locate a brushy pot that the canine has navigated and hang a snare there. It will connect often enough…..

Snares are cheap, set heavy.

Tim

jig_head
    Elk Mound Wi

Thanks guys what trap is also good for coyote and fox?

robby
    Quad Cities

Travel routes where the critters go through fences are good places. Just make sure snares are legal in your state.

yodeldog
    Farmville, MN

I second the snare on a fence where there trail is

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Quote:

Travel routes where the critters go through fences are good places. Just make sure snares are legal in your state.

Snares are legal in Wisconsin from Jan 1 thru Feb 15. Here’s the link to the trapping regs for snares SNARES

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

We call them “Cable Restraints” now
    Everything has to be PC you know
    Anyway, I am considering running a few once the season starts.
    The problem I see is finding pre-built restraints since they have to be built so specific.
    But, I do know one of the guys that worked with the DNR during the official testing of the cable restraints and he is good at teaching the art
    Good locations will be easy to find with all the snow this season already. Look around sloughs with taller grass and you should find the trails they arwe running. Also like Timmy mentioned, “pinch points” in wood settings as well as creek bottoms.
    Just make sure to read the regulations very carefully. There are quite a few things to know before even setting the cable restraints. Also be prepared to kill the coyotes and fox since they will be alive and waiting for you when you check them

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

I second the snare on a fence where there trail is

In WI, we cannot set cable restraints anywhere near a fence. The cable restraint must be placed so that no entanglements larger than 1/2″ can be reached. This means no fences or even trees The laws here are pretty strict when dealing with these. But, I am just happy they finally allowed the use of cable restraints

timmy

One thing to mention – if you set at a fence crossing…..and it is a barbed wire fence….I hope you like sewing.

Tim

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

I am glad our snare regs aren’t that restrictive! Making your own snares is very easy and being able to reuse some of the parts is a cheap way to make them.

–Whitey

les_welch

Our cables are actually easy to make also, just need a few more parts. As AMWatson said be sure not to be within distance of anything greater than 1’2″ rooted, that can be wrapped around. You can set right next to a tree that is 4′ around because the animal can’t become entangled. Just a thought for you.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.