Trap Check 11-19-07

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Today wasn’t a bad day considering I didn’t have all my traps out
    It appears I am stuck on the number 7 for rats. This is the third day in a row that I have caught 7 rats. I have better hopes for tomorrow since I have all but 3 rat traps out and 2 coon traps still left to set.
    I am picking up a few tricks to get more rats in the bank using the body grips. In a lot of places there are undercut banks with grass hanging over the water resulting in a narrow tunnel between the grass and bank. I put a few sets out yesterday to see if I could actually catch a rat as they were swimming through the tunnel. By golly, it works So today, I put a few more of these types of sets and should have a few more rats tomorrow. I also ventured into some new territory today and these areas look promising.
    I also picked up another good sized river coon this morning as well. Of course I wished I would have double set this location so I could have picked up his buddy as well. I have found some good coon locations, but I just can’t morally set them due to duck hunting in this area still. A coon isn’t worth the black eye to trapping if I were to accidently catch a hunter’s dog. The trap wouldn’t hurt the dog in any way, but public perception sees things differently. I have been using a few pocket sets as well as some blind sets and using fish oil to lure them to the traps. This is the first year that I have bought a gallon of the oil and used it and so far I it has been working very well. The fish oil and pockets has also accounted for a few rats as well.
    I am hoping the sets in the grass tunnels will get me my first mink as well.

Chunk
    New Hampton, Iowa

Nice job! Keep up the good work!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Thanks Chunk
    I wish I could pile the coon up like you guys in Iowa do.
    I am going to take a small lot in to Wiebke tomorrow to see how the prices on coon are. I know possums are going to sell for exactly $1 per hide Hopefully the coon market is as good as the speculators say they are

mikev

It’ great to see pics of your trapping outings, it has been years since I have been out,(over 20) maybe this could be a new sport to start up again. How much $ do you get for rats these days, how about a red fox?

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Hey wats I was wondering what you would advise for trapping coons around sloughs. Out here in SoDak we see a lot of tracks and other signs of them on the shorelines but havent had any luck. I have heard fish and fish oil works really well so Ill probably get my hands on some in the near future. As for sets weve set up 220s and 160s in front of baited holes weve dug along the shoreline. Should we be targeting other spots? Around trees and brush maybe? Ive been a little intimidated of using drowners for coons looking at the drawings in books but maybe I should try a few. Any advice would be appreciated.

Lardy

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

If the sloughs are surrounded by cattails and/or reeds, I would be setting the trails that come through them with the 220’s for sure. Also put those 220’s on the trails through the grass that leads to the sloughs. Are the 220’s all the traps you have, or do you have any footholds?

I am having good luck using fish oil. that can be ordered online from several places as well. Here is a link to a top notch company for all your trapping needs: Minnesota Trapline Products

I started using drowners this year and they are definitely the ticket. All you really need is a drowner lock, some wire, and 2 stakes to make them. I have one in the boat now and will take a pic to show you what mine look like. They really are easy to put together and use

The pocket sets should work for you. Make sure they are set where the coon normally travel. Then lure them to the pockets by squirting a trail of fish oil to the pocket. In the pocket, you can either use pieces of fish or just squirt some more fish oil in the hole and on the edges. If the coon are there, they will find it.

If you have some foothold style traps, you can make dirthole sets on the dry ground or use a PVC set as well. Not sure if your weather is cold enough to where the ground is frozen yet so that might be a limiting factor on dryland sets.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Lardy, here is my drowner set up. The first pic is the whole thing and the second pic shows the lock up close.
    For the stakes, the shorter one is about 18″ long and the longer one is around 30″. I use 14 gauge wire for the slide section. The lock is nothing more than an L-shaped piece of metal that can be bought cheap, or made yourself. Just make sure the longer part of the L shape is pointing to the longer stake. The length of your wire between the stakes is determined by the distance you need to reach deeper water. Even if they don’t reach th deeper water, they still will be there waiting for you as long as your stakes hold.

schweg2
    Centuria,WI

You could also take the one j hook out and use the hole in the swivel for your drowner lock too. Works good for me…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.