River trapline nightmare

• amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Tuesday was a very tense day while doing the first check of my river line I got out on Monday. It started off with me having to work this morning so I couldn’t get out checking the line right away this morning while it was calm out. I finally finished up work and arrived at the boat ramp around 2 this afternoon. I could tell right away it was not going to be a nice easy run.
    The mighty Mississippi was in a foul mood with winds from the south pushing 20 mph and gusting even more. I got the boat in the water and made my way south into the full force of the white caps and 3 foot rollers. At best I was able to do 19 mph before the beating myself and the boat took were too much. As I made my way down river, I got to a spot where the river widened out. The wind and waves here were intense. All of a sudden, I hit a huge wave that sent the bow of the boat up and then was caught with a gust of wind. In a flash the boat was knocked 180 degrees with me barely keeping my composure. By now I was white knuckled and I was puckered so bad, I swore the boat seat was going to be a permanent part of my anatomy. I quickly got turned around and facing my intended direction. The banging the boat was taking knocked my GPS unit around so much that it just wouldn’t stay powered. The only good thing is I know this section of the river very well so I wasn’t too concerned about hitting wing dams. Knowing that, I had to make my way to the shoreline where if I were to capsize, I would have a fair chance to make it to shore.
    Once I got into the backwaters, the trees blocked the wind and I was able to get the sets checked. But, I knew that I still had to make my way back before dark which was quickly approaching. While trapping the Federal land, we are required to check traps once every 24 hours and can only check during normal hunting hours. I still had 4 110 muskrat traps I had to make a decision on whether to check and face the river in the dark or take my chance with a fine and make it back to the landing alive. I hated more than anything to leave them 4 traps, but by now I am really worried about getting back. Before heading out to the main channel, I was worried enough, I made 2 phone calls. First to my wife letting here know the situation, then to a friend of mine (Fireash), to let him know my situation as well. The ride back was not pleasant. The spray from the waves soaked me and put a lot of water in the boat. My hands were frozen, my arms were screaming with the burning feeling while trying to maintain control, and my mind was so focused on not getting swamped.
    Needless to say, I did make it back in one piece, but with even more respect for the river when she turns ugly.
    I sure hope that is all the excitement I have while braving the river for the rest of the season.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Wow that sounds like one hell of a ride Mike!

Glad you made it out ok, I have been looking forward to your trapping reports all summer, keep them coming!

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

You can count on the reports Steve
    The only thing that will limit me now is the price of gas
    But tomorrow I think I am going to try a different route that should be safer as well as cheaper as far as fuel goes

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

The only thing that will limit me now is the price of gas

Tell me about it

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Isn’t trapping fun???? Too much work for this old guy!

herb
    6ft under

Oh for cryin out loud Chappy

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Isn’t trapping fun???? Too much work for this old guy!

Old guy, that’s funny
    If you think running a trap line is work just wait till you start running a resort.

timmy

Glad to hear you are fine – scary story. After reading that – it gives me a new appreciation for my marten/fisher line that I will be setting. No life threatening trap checks on that line!

Tight chains – Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.