Set out first line

• Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Just bought 3 long springs and a 110 conibear and put them out on a slough to try things out. Found a good slide and put a leghold in the water leading up to it. Set 2 other legholds on seperate mounds where the muskrats appeared to be working on. Last trap was the conibear which I set on a trail surrounding the shoreline. I still havent dipped any of the traps which I plan on doing in the morning when I pick them up but I was too eager to get them out and start getting a feel for things. I was wondering if a guy could use gulf wax (the kind they use for canning) instead of trap wax its odorless and Id imagine has similar properties as ordinary trap wax. If anyone has any pointers or sees any problems that I can fix lemme hear it since this is my first time and Id like to do things right from the beggining. Ive studied up on the subject as best I could and feel pretty confident Ill have some luck..Either way I had a good time for the first outing and ill update on how I did tommarow.

Lardy

herb
    6ft under

Can’t say much about your sets till you tell us how the first trap check goes and if you had any misses. Trap placement at those sets is most important. The wax you mention will work fine, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!, put some masking tape over the trigger parts of the conibear. If you don’t, you’ll find out why you should have when you go to set it.

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Checked the first line one mound trap was succesful the slide trap and the conibear looked like nothing came by. The second mound trap was in the water and only had a foot in it what can I do to prevent this?? I definitely dont want to make a habit out of it..

herb
    6ft under

Make sure you have enough chain or wire tied to the trap so the animal can get to deep water and drown. Stake the trap as far out as you need to for this to happen, and you sometimes need to add a tangle stake to keep them out there. Mink and rats give up pretty easy when in deep water.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.