Tranx TRX500HG

• Rick Wedel

Hello. I have an opportunity to pick up a TRX500HG, and wonder if the HG is suitable for double 10’s? My original Revo Toro Winch 60 is worn out. I know the Tranx PG has a lower gear ratio, but the reel available here is the HG. Any advice gratefully welcomed. Thanks.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

6.6:1 is going to be significantly harder on you burning those double 10’s compared to the ol standard winch which if i recall is 4.1 and makes pulling a plow feel like a breeze.
    You’ll notice it. Will it deter you from throwing double 10’s. Probably not.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have the TRX500HG and it is a great reel. If you have not held it, it is a bigger reel than you might think. The PG is better suited for double 10’s. I do through them with the HG but not often.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

speed is absolutely the #1 trigger for muskies in most conditions. in my view the HG and the Winch are not really even in the same category for comparison: Tranx 500HG is just so much faster (and also higher quality). that speed definitely shows up in the amount of pull generated, but well worth it…

full disclosure: i was throwing flaptails and creepers last weekend and those are about as far away from a hard-pulling fast double-10 as it gets! whistling

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The winch was a great reel for slow rolling double 10’s. The TRX500HG is arguably the best reel for burning double 10’s. It’s not that much work so long as you’re comfortable using a big reel. It’s nothing like a revo toro high speed, which does struggle with double 10’s. It’s also great for big plastics because you can pick the line up so quickly on the pull.

tswoboda

Buy it. Try it as is and then if you think it’s too fast for 10s just spool it 2/3 full. Changing how full the spool is changes the effective gear ratio. You can make a fast reel slower, but you can’t make a slow reel faster.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.