Tranx 401 PSA

• mnfisherman18

Seems like the Tranx 401 has gotten pretty popular the last few years, I originally bought one because it seemed like the best muskie reel with a left hand option. This has likely been discussed on here, but the version with the power handle has a tendency to slam forward and engage the reel when you cast if the handle is in a certain position. This means you need to position your handle pointing down to avoid smashing your lure on the water 10 feet away from the boat.

The dreaded premature reel engagement has happened to me a few times per year since I have owned it. I finally got around to taking it apart for cleaning/oiling/greasing last week and sure enough found a cracked clutch tube (picture attached). The Shimano rep I talked to said this was due to “aggressive casting with a heavy lure causing the reel to engage”. Yep, sounds about right since that is what the reel is supposedly designed to do. The good news is its only a $5 part: https://fishshop.shimano.com/products/tgt2653?_pos=1&_sid=df0b6bc30&_ss=r Part # TGT2653.

The reel has been flawless other than this issue, but I am glad I checked it out because it appears to be fairly close to failing. I cant be the only one who has experienced this issue, so definitely check your reel if this sounds familiar. I will likely also be investing in a properly counter balanced handle to avoid this problem in the future.

Attachments:
    1. Tranx-Issue.png

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That is good information to know. Thank you for sharing.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

There used to be the same problem with the calcutta 400 powerhandles. One of the easy fixes was having a bigger counter weight on the other side of the paddle. I would bet you could find someone selling a slightly heavier weight to fix this too.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Well i take that back. Theres no way to add a counter weight to that. That sucks.

tswoboda

Keep your thumb on the thumb bar until the bait hits the water. That’s been an issue forever with with any unbalanced power handle.

mnfisherman18

Yeah Carter it is annoying, you basically have to buy an entire new handle for it. I will see if I can get used to casting with the thumb bar held down as tswoboda suggests, just figured there are likely others out there getting close to that part failing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.