Transporting minnows/leeches

• grampatim
    Spirit Lake, IA

We are going to spend a week in northern Minnesota next fall. Can, I have the bait shop fill my Engel with their water for my minnows and leeches and then transport that from the lake back to the resort or do I have to dump the bait or change all the water in the Engel, before I put the bait in the pickup? I can have the resort/bait shop put fresh water from their water? Thanks in advance.

tangler
    Inactive

Yes that’s fine. Transporting live bait and tap water is legal. Transporting lake water is not.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

The ais police at the landing will still require you to change the water in your cooler when coming off the water, happens to me every time. I tried explaining to them that the water in the cooler was brought from home but they do not seem to understand that and rules are rules. You just need to keep a five gallon bucket of legal water in your truck for changing. Good luck

tangler
    Inactive

I think Gino is correct. It’s absurd, but this is Minnesota after all.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Ya this whole AIS and bait situation is a real Mess. Like they can tell the water in your baitbucket or Livewell is lake water or fresh water from Home. I know guys who keep several Empty 5 gallon buckets in the back of their truck. They go home with fish in their full live well. If they get stopped they said they are going to tell them the water in the live well is from home. See here are the buckets I brought the water in.

Deleted

The dumbest thing about the whole situation seems that the ais are hauled all up and down the mississippi via the commercial barges & MN DNR can’t do anything about that ….. so we get these silly nonsense laws to deal with. They impact zero on my end because I only fish one body of water. The ole Mississippi. Why I have to dance for the man is just baffling. I do it but shaking my head all the way.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.