Transporting Fish / Possesion Limit / Processed Fish ???

• Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

In any case, Andy do you still have that link to the song that never ends. I think that would fit here too grin

Well…? No, IMHO this topic is far more important and applicable to us than an argument about climate change. roll

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>
    I wondered about this when I was out in a sleeper fish house eating walleye cakes I made in advance and brought to enjoy.

Walleye cakes? I thought you ate Muskie cakes?

I suppose I’d eat muskie cakes if I could buy muskie at CUB Foods? jester

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>
    In any case, Andy do you still have that link to the song that never ends. I think that would fit here too grin

Well…? No, IMHO this topic is far more important and applicable to us than an argument about climate change. roll

OH don’t get me wrong, it is important! I just don’t think there is an answer and therefor this question could go on for eons. It is all about how a specific CO interprets the law. There is no black and white right or wrong. I sure would like to know myself if it is written anywhere.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It is all about how a specific CO interprets the law. There is no black and white right or wrong. I sure would like to know myself if it is written anywhere.

In regards to receiving a ticket, yes but in court it must be decided on consistently.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>
    It is all about how a specific CO interprets the law. There is no black and white right or wrong. I sure would like to know myself if it is written anywhere.

In regards to receiving a ticket, yes but in court it must be decided on consistently.

Sure, but who is going to fight it in court if they can’t find the answer? And we are back to square one.

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

General Regulations: Possession

How many fish can I keep?
    Your daily and possession limits are the same unless otherwise noted.

A fish is in your possession once you have caught and kept it. Your possession limit includes any fish you have kept that day plus any fish in storage from a previous day.

It seems pretty cut and dried to me. A fish is in your possession until it is consumed.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

A fish is in your possession once you have caught and kept it. Your possession limit includes any fish you have kept that day plus any fish in storage from a previous day.

It seems pretty cut and dried to me. A fish is in your possession until it is consumed.

Pretty cut and clear because you answered what we already knew and nothing we were questioning.

B-man

I have to agree.

Minnesota doesn’t break down “processed, frozen, raw, canned, pickled, etc” fish in their regulations.

Some other states specifically do.

What it boils down to, even if you could have unlimited fish, is be realistic and only keep what you will eat.

Even when it’s legal, one guy isn’t going to eat a freezer full of fish. An entire licensed family couldn’t either….. So there’s no sense in it.

On the same note, if you have a limit of pike in the freezer and a quart jar of pickled pike in the fridge it’s not my business.

If you have 10 limits of pike in the freezer and 20 jars pickled (even when legal)…..you are a game hog…..

Tom Anastasi

I think that as long as a person doesn’t exceed the bag limit for the lake/region/state that he or she is fishing, then it shouldn’t matter how many fish you have in the freezer.

But I also agree with Bman.
    Why the h-e-double hockey sticks do u need a freezer FULL of fish?!
    Smh

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

Now my question comes in on when does a fish leave your possession? Once it’s cooked or processed? Is canning a process? It’s not cooked but it’s been through a process to prepare it for eating. I personally like to egg wash, bread and then freeze my fish so they are nearly ready to eat.

I assume you can transport uncooked canned fish? If so can I transport my frozen “processed” breaded fish? Thoughts?

Also based off of the stories I’ve heard from guys spearing they get a limit of pike for themselves and a limit for his wife and then he cans them. He basically did this every winter and had 100’s of jars of pike. I assume this is also legal?

Not trying to start an argument, but this was the original post. I don’t recall a definitive answer being posted, if I missed it I apologize.

B-man

Now my question comes in on when does a fish leave your possession? Once it’s cooked or processed? Is canning a process? It’s not cooked but it’s been through a process to prepare it for eating. I personally like to egg wash, bread and then freeze my fish so they are nearly ready to eat.

I assume you can transport uncooked canned fish? If so can I transport my frozen “processed” breaded fish? Thoughts?

Also based off of the stories I’ve heard from guys spearing they get a limit of pike for themselves and a limit for his wife and then he cans them. He basically did this every winter and had 100’s of jars of pike. I assume this is also legal?

Not trying to start an argument, but this was the original post. I don’t recall a definitive answer being posted, if I missed it I apologize.

In Minnesota, a fish in your possession is a fish in your possession.

It doesn’t matter if it’s raw, frozen, canned, pickled.

That guy you know is breaking the law, and is a total game hog (poacher….cough cough)

What the hell is he going to do with quote “100’s of cans of fish”????

You know damn well he isn’t eating a jar of fish every day of the year….. It’s a waste of a resource, not to mention illegal in Minnesota.

Other states laws differ. For example Michigan. “Processed fish” don’t count towards your daily limit. Wisconsin allows 2X the limit (in most circumstances). North Dakota (if I remember right) is unlimited for residents.

You could have 20,000 jars of fish in the basement…..but again…..are you really going to use it????

I can’t even imagine how much fish my immediate family could have and still be legal, but I just keep what we will eat.

With a family of four; family fishing licenses in Minnesota/Wisconsin, single licenses in Ontario, Michigan, and sometimes North and South Dakota, we could have 10 chest freezers and a basement full of canned fish……

But we don’t…..and we don’t NEED to. Yet some people “think” they do…..???? I don’t get it…..

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Depends on what State you are in. In Utah and Wyoming, you cannot can your limit every day and catch another one the next day. People that camp at the lake have tried that for years to try to get around possession limits. If you have a limit of fish and a dozen jars in the camper you will be cited.

I can however have the 100 jars at my home as the possession limit ends when I pull into my residence driveway.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Ok guys I appreciate all the responses. It sounds like most of you agree on a few things.

1st, a fish is in your possession no matter if its cooked, pickled, frozen or raw it counts against your bag limit. I agree whole heartedly, but I think that would surprise a fair number of guys who pickle fish.

2nd, transporting any fish unless there’s skin on it is illegal. Even if its cooked, pickled or ready to be cooked. Some said don’t be an idiot and you’ll be fine but that dosen’t really apply if you want to eat it somewhere fishing of a species is restricted or has a closed season (many many times and places fall into this category in MN) you could get checked by a CO in any of these areas while in a fish house, boat or sitting on shore…

I’m sure you can get away with it but it appears most here do think its illegal. Even if the intent of the law was not meant to apply to these scenarios.

I guess transport/consume fish at your own risk and hope you don’t get a CO that likes writing tickets.

After the very technical tickets that have been written on the ice for anglers not having the cooker out yet or the oil hot I’m a little paranoid. I take people out fishing from all over the country and nearly every scenario has come up at some point. Thanks for the help guys.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You could have 20,000 jars of fish in the basement…..but again…..are you really going to use it????

I can’t even imagine how much fish my immediate family could have and still be legal, but I just keep what we will eat.

But we don’t…..and we don’t NEED to. Yet some people “think” they do…..???? I don’t get it…..

I think everyone here has a similar point of view but there will always be people that want to keep everything. Its just a mind set but I do see less and less of it. You wouldn’t believe how many people come to fish with me and only keep a couple for a meal. 30+ years ago it was the norm to keep as much as possible everytime out. Its nice to see the progression.

Buffalo Fishhead

Depends on what State you are in. In Utah and Wyoming, you cannot can your limit every day and catch another one the next day. People that camp at the lake have tried that for years to try to get around possession limits. If you have a limit of fish and a dozen jars in the camper you will be cited.

I can however have the 100 jars at my home as the possession limit ends when I pull into my residence driveway.

That last sentence may be the way it is in Utah, however in Wyoming you can not have more fish in any condition (fresh, frozen, canned, etc.) than is allowed in your possession limit. In Wyoming the daily bag limit and possession limit are the same number.

Buffalo Fishhead

B-man

Ok guys I appreciate all the responses. It sounds like most of you agree on a few things.

1st, a fish is in your possession no matter if its cooked, pickled, frozen or raw….

2nd, transporting any fish unless there’s skin on it is illegal….

I’m sure you can get away with it but it appears most here do think its illegal. Even if the intent of the law was not meant to apply to these scenarios.

I guess transport/consume fish at your own risk and hope you don’t get a CO that likes writing tickets.

Number One is True

Number Two is false. Not all fish in Minnesota need a skin patch to transport legally. Bullheads, sunfish and crappies can be all flesh.

The regs also say that transported fish can’t be broken down into more than two fillets…..So, “by law” you can’t zipper a walleye or remove the Y-bones from a pike until it’s at home. Also “by law” you wouldn’t be able to transport pickled or canned fish (since it’s cut up into pieces).

The law isn’t meant to prevent people from bringing a jar of fish or a half fillet of smoked trout to their buddy’s house or in the boat…..but unfortunately that’s how it’s currently written.

It would be a great topic to bring up with the new MN-FISH Foundation waytogo

But at the end of the day, just do what’s right. Honest fisherman are simply protected with the need for probable cause (or at least I would hope so)….

If you are caught poaching fish on the water, then the DNR will probably check vehicle and/or home…. otherwise they really have no need or reason to.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20190407-221831.png

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

how about adding some more fuel on the fire, think about AIS now. anyone up for a smelt fry in the fish house? if you cant use them for bait, would it be legal to have them on a lake at all, or do they have to be preserved by a licensed dealer?

what if I buy them from cub?

just trying to stir the pot some more

Timmy

The regs also say that transported fish can’t be broken down into more than two fillets…..

So technically, I am violator. When I smoke trout/salmon, I vac-pak the chunks and give some of them out to family and friends, as well as take some on trips for a snack with an evening brew…..… I never even thought of that as a violation, and I will continue to take my chances. It seems odd that this would be an infraction, but I highly doubt that will ever be a problem.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

It may have been mentioned here already. In WI the DNR will not count your canned or smoked salmon as part of your position limit.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

You guys are funny. Where does it say you cant transport pickled fish, smoked fish, or heck, a fish sandwich???

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You guys are funny. Where does it say you cant transport pickled fish, smoked fish, or heck, a fish sandwich???

See the attached snip from the 2019 reg book.

Part of the original question was do fish that are “processed” get treated differently and the answer thought by most was no. If that is the case you would not be following the transportation rules as stated in the rule book. I see no documentation stating either opinion… hence the gray area some say is so clear.

I also see no documentation stating that we should treat them differently so can we assume that you are not allowed to transport any fish without skin, except panish and bullheads?

What is your take on this Clowncolor?

Attachments:
    1. transporting-fish.jpg

ajw

I have a hard time understanding why and how you let the government dictate how much food you can have in your freezer.. daily limits and possession limits while traveling for sure but once it’s at its final resting place it should not be considered part of your limit. Imo. I like stocking up a bit. I eat fish 2-3 times a month. It goes quick. Especially with a winter like this one where Mother Nature definitely won haha. I was glad to have a few bags in the freezer from last fall. All out now. Waiting for the spring run on devils to start. Tight lines boys

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Out of curiosity…
    Did anyone try asking the DNR if processed fish (aka pickled) counts towards the possession limit? And… if they could be legally transported without the skin patch or licensed packing requirement?

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I have a call into a CO already. I will report my findings, but as I’ve found in the past with gray area questions, my guess is the CO’s won’t agree either.

nailswi
    Waunakee, WI

It may have been mentioned here already. In WI the DNR will not count your canned or smoked salmon as part of your position limit.

This is from the WI regs.

For example, if the daily bag limit for a species is 5, the most you could possess or control (i.e., in your freezer, cooler, vehicle, etc.) would be 10, no matter how many days you fished. Therefore, you could only bring home your possession limit of 10.

Viewing 24 posts - 61 through 84 (of 84 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.