Trainer for future duck dog

• troutbum
    St. Paul

A week ago I adopted a 1 year old black lab. This is my first dog. I would like Murphy to be my hunting partner for waterfowl. Does anyone have a personal experience with:

Jason Gooding
    Good Go Ing Sporting Dogs

Or

Rick McConico
    Old Oak Retrievers

Im planning visits to both. I was just hoping for some insight from someone with personal experience.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

You might want to check with Kathy at Piddle Creek. She’ll steer you right to some one close by.

snelson223
    Austin MN

You should check into Dokkens Oak Ridge kennels. I wouldn’t go to anyone else.

roadhunter

I have two Labs. One from Piddle Creek and a puppy that is from a line from Piddle Creek. I have used Jason Gooding for boarding and some training. Both those places are good.

Four of my friends and I have used Mike Shulenburg at wings and whistles in Victoria. I believe he is fantastic.

I have sent two dogs there. They both live in our house with my wife and kids, are extremely obedient and great hunters.

As far as I know, the prices on all three of these places are about the same.

Good luck.

Enjoy the dog.

riverrookie
    Kasson, MN

Rick does a great job. I have a 10 month old black lab from Rick. He did all the obedience training and early bird work at 7 months and we couldn’t be happier.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Have you considered doing the training yourself? There are so many programs available nowadays that you should be able to find one to fit your needs.it is a big investment in time but can be a big part of the enjoyment of having a hunting dog. Nothing better that watching a dog that you trained ace a difficult retrieve.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Have you considered doing the training yourself? There are so many programs available nowadays that you should be able to find one to fit your needs.it is a big investment in time but can be a big part of the enjoyment of having a hunting dog. Nothing better that watching a dog that you trained ace a difficult retrieve.

Great point…I have trained two labs using the book written by Robert Wolters called ‘water dog’ and was VERY happy with the results. It starts at day 49 of the dogs life (the day you pick up the dog from it mommy bawling …) and takes you through every day until you have a trained retriever! It really doesn’t take that much time.
    (Side note: Not a shot at Dokken’ but I have duck hunted with two labs that were trained by Dokken and mine have ruled supreme over those dogs…If I can do it so can you!)

troutbum
    St. Paul

Thanks guys for all the info. Being my first dog and having him show up at my door at 1 year of age, I would like to have a mentor. Im meeting with Jason gooding on Tuesday. This is most appealing because of his location and I can come out and get myself trained frequently. The birds and socializing at Go Ing kennels is appealing and it is something that I cannot provide on a consistent basis. Im considering heading to Kelley Farms as well. I have read Wolters books and am watching Fowl Dogs. Really enjoying the DVd series.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Roadhunter please check your pm. Thanks

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I used Rick Stawski, Fine Line Retrievers in Milaca. Rick did the collar training and helped set a training foundation I could build on at home. Rick was great and the dog is great.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.