Trailered boats banned from CO lake AIS

• tomr
    cottage grove, mn

According to Target Walleye trailered boats are banned from Stanley lake in CO because of AIS. First I heard of an outright ban. Boats like canoes, kayaks and paddle boards apparently don’t transmite AIS as they are not banned. I guess it is time for fisherman/women to ban together as I never thought our rights could be taken away so easily. To be fair this lake it says is the main lake for water for the town treatment center, but once started who knows what lake is next.

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Dutchboy is right… Sit on your butt and do nothing this will be coming to a lake near you soon… From city of Westminster CO website:

Trailered boats will not be permitted on Standley Lake beginning this summer due to increasing concerns of zebra and quagga mussel infestation. Although the invasive species have not been detected in Westminster’s drinking water supply, a recent review of the policies and methods used to prevent an infestation found decontamination is not fully effective for many trailered boats. Boat launch data for 2018 also found multiple instances of Standley Lake boaters deliberately bypassing protective measures.

All 2019 permits that have been issued for trailered boats have been canceled and no additional permits will be sold. Individuals who already purchased a 2019 permit are being notified and will receive a full refund. Permits can still be purchased for non-trailered watercraft such as kayaks, canoes, rafts and paddleboards. Those types of watercraft will still have to go through the city’s on-site decontamination procedure.

Ice Cap

I posted about this earlier in the other thread along with the qualifier that this city gets it’s drinking water directly from the lake so not exactly the same as the Wright County situation. Unless I’m missing something and Wright county is pumping directly from the lakes for drinking water but I haven’t read that anywhere.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They are protecting drinking water for 300,000 people. Quite a bit different situation.
    If it was the water my family drank I’d probably be ok with that situation

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I understand that the wright county situation is different from CO where they are getting their drinking water from, or is it?
    What I do not like is how they are calling out “trailered boats” as a problem transmitting AIS. If you are trying to prevent AIS would not a total boating ban make more sense? Are their houses on this lake and do lake homeowners have boats? Do they get to continue to use them? What if they take them out to fish some other lake, are they allowed back in? Seems different excuse same results that people who live off the lake are excluded.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Nearly all the bodies of water I fish are already infested. It’s interesting because these fisheries are revered as some of the best in the state.

Last I checked the sky hasn’t fallen. Maybe it’s because I’m fairly short?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

How do zebra muscles affect drinking water? Don’t zebs actually clean out the water? What’s the logic here? Or are they afraid of the zebs plugging up the pumps and pipes???

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I googled earth the lake and perhaps this is a different situation as it does not appear that there are lakeshore owners on this lake. Although it looks like several accesses to lake from private property.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Plugging

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

How do zebra muscles affect drinking water? Don’t zebs actually clean out the water? What’s the logic here? Or are they afraid of the zebs plugging up the pumps and pipes???

The article states that they are worried about plugging the filtration systems and also the algea blooms after the zebra muscles or something in that ball park.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I dont quite understand why even allow any boat kyak paddle board or canoe. What’s the big difference between trailed or non in that situation?

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

A government entity just decided decontamination doesn’t work. If it doesn’t work there other governments can decide it won’t work for them either. How does land and water become protected, restricted, regulated? Slowly and incrementally at the hands of activists with agendas. If fishermen with big glass boats and dual axle trailers don’t become “activists” they might have to trade down to a plastic kayak some day to fish their favorite lake…

Deleted

Squeaky wheel gets the grease folks. The unemployed rabid activists are louder than the working stiffs, who don’t make the time to stand up to silliness.

Same happened with the gun issue. We all said “ they won’t really take our guns” & while we were too busy to take the threat seriously & fight back, advancements toward taking away our constitutional rights are being chipped away at by activists every day.

Same happened with the gay rights thing. We used to all say “I don’t care what they do so long as it doesn’t affect me” ….. now if you don’t actively accept all their nonsense – you’re labeled with a phobia and they want you fired from your job. You can’t turn a tv show on nowadays without hearing or seeing their activism.

tangler
    Inactive

Same happened with the gay rights thing. We used to all say “I don’t care what they do so long as it doesn’t affect me” ….. now if you don’t actively accept all their nonsense – you’re labeled with a phobia and they want you fired from your job. You can’t turn a tv show on nowadays without hearing or seeing their activism.

Awww, It must be so hard for you carrying around this anger for your fellow human beings who you clearly see as less deserving of happiness and “rights” than yourself.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

OK then, let’s just back up a hair and leave the gay rights/political conversation at the door.

As for the privatizing of a specific lake, Stanley Lake is a different situation because as someone already mentioned, it is the actual drinking water supply for a pretty large city. Wright County Lakes do not use surface water from lakes and rivers for their drinking water – they use groundwater (most suburbs and cities do in MN). So its not really the same situation.

Deleted

Awww, It must be so hard for you carrying around this anger for your fellow human beings who you clearly see as less deserving of happiness and “rights” than yourself.

[/quote

Stating a fact is not anger.

My point is that activism is a tool that is used by goofs, who will never be happy unless they are beating a drum to chip away at all that is good in the USA. Get in their way and they will try to ruin you professionally & personally. That is anti-American 100%. We should all be able to agree to disagree and move on. One group should never being going for the throat of any other group. Yet they do. Our way of life will diminish as a result. Congrats, I guess?

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

Our city municipal water recently spent millions of dollars dealing with zebra mussels. An ounce of prevention…

Deleted

Our city municipal water recently spent millions of dollars dealing with zebra mussels. An ounce of prevention…

Why does barge traffic have no responsibility when it comes to the mobility of AIS? I realize they are federally regulated so the states are bound when trying to enforce anything but couldn’t something be done thru the feds?

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

And St. Paul’s city municipal water has prohibited boat traffic on it water source for many decades.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

And St. Paul’s city municipal water has prohibited boat traffic on it water source for many decades.

True. And those lakes still have zeebs and milfoil. Go figure. coffee

-J.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The article states that they are worried about plugging the filtration systems and also the algea blooms after the zebra muscles or something in that ball park.

IF that is in fact the case, they should be talking with Xcel Energy at Prairie Island. I had a long conversation with the folk there about zebs clogging their filters/pumps. It’s a none factor. I don’t recall the exact temps, but changing the water temp and direction of the flow kills the zebs and removes them from the filters. They said “we are leading the country on zeb free filters”.

Xcel has offices in CO as well.

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WinnebagoViking wrote:</div>

True. And those lakes still have zeebs and milfoil. Go figure. coffee

-J.

True. However, few other lake chains pipe water directly from the mighty Mississippi.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

IF that is in fact the case, they should be talking with Xcel Energy at Prairie Island. I had a long conversation with the folk there about zebs clogging their filters/pumps. It’s a none factor. I don’t recall the exact temps, but changing the water temp and direction of the flow kills the zebs and removes them from the filters. They said “we are leading the country on zeb free filters”.

Xcel has offices in CO as well.

Boom!

good info and thanks for sharing.

It always amazes me how little research and planning go into things and people continuously reinvent the wheel. If someone found a way to make things work, listen and read up on it…do your due diligence. Instead of starting from square one, you’d be surprised that you may be able to start from square 101 and make things even better!

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

When I was young, I use to car top a large jon boat with an outboard. lol!

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

My first thought here was that this was a group of lakeshore owners who wanted to make the lake private. But looking at the satellite view of the lake gave me a far different impression. It appears that the lake is surrounded entirely by public property. A close look shows what appear to be a couple of public docks in a park where there is a landing and one other dock that has 2 boats at it.

It is surrounded 100% by public property.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.