Trailer surge brakes help

• sipple31
    West Central Sconni

2021 boat and trailer with Dexter 3500# axle + surge brakes.
    I have never disassembled anything, but I have shot grease into the hubs.
    The last couple times I’ve had the boat out I’ve power-loaded and had someone pull me out and I’ve heard what I can only describe as a “sandy, grinding” sound from both sides. There’s no way both sides of bearings have gone bad on a two year old rig… so I’m leaning towards something with the brakes.
    It would appear they are drum style. Pic attached.
    Is this normal or is something wrong? Maybe just some surface rust (from being dunked) that works itself off? Out of adjustment and applying brake when it shouldn’t?
    It’s going to get towed 11 hours each way to Canada in August so I need to rule this out and have complete confidence.
    Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0796.jpeg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If it were me going that distance I would want a look at the bearings and repack them as a minimum. I try to do mine every other year. Either take them to a shop and have them done or do it yourself, while your in there you can have a look at the brakes, but unlikely the brakes are an issue on a two year old trailer, bearings on the other hand….

I have a similar set up by the way.

mojogunter

Pull the drums off and take a look. First spin the hub with the drums on, and then with them off and see if the noise is still there. Could be something as easy as sand between the shoes and drum from dirty water. If the noise is still there with the drums off then I would replace the bearings.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Never seen Drum surge brakes before, but the best thing to do is pull the wheel and drum off and takes a looky.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

All helpful responses… thank you.
    While I am mechanically inclined I don’t know diddly about drums. I will give it a go and if I have any issues I’ll just drag it to a mechanic.

MX1825

Pull the drums off and take a look. First spin the hub with the drums on, and then with them off and see if the noise is still there. Could be something as easy as sand between the shoes and drum from dirty water. If the noise is still there with the drums off then I would replace the bearings.

This is good advice unless the drum and hub come off as 1 piece.

sipple31
    West Central Sconni

Jacked it up and popped the tires off and oh my goodness did those brakes sound terrible. So far out of adjustment. Could not have been helping my mileage either. Turns out my bag full of literature that came with the boat had a whole booklet specifically for the drums. It seems I missed a paragraph… doah
    Tore everything down, got them adjusted, re-packed the bearings (which seemed in great shape), new cotter pin and outer seal. Good to go!

Attachments:
    1. drum-adjust-manual.jpeg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.