Trailer lights tail lights

• dbrode
    Mingo, IA

Something going on with my 2013 Silverado. I’ve pulled 2 different boats and can’t get tail lights to work. I have brake and turn signal, but no tail/running lights. Any advice before I tear into it? Tight lines and thanks

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I would use electrical contact cleaner on the connectors.
    Your tests imply it is more of an issue with the tow vehicle.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

“I’ve pulled 2 different boats and can’t get tail lights to work.”

White-Ground
    Brown-Tail/Running Lights
    Green-Right Turn/Brake – Remember green has an R in it
    Yellow-Left Turn/Brake – Remember yellow has an L in it

Eyecatcher has it. The contact where your brown wire connects to on the truck is the culprit. It’s possible it’s fused.

Easiest way is to take a voltage meter and place it in the connector where your brown wire would go and place the black lead to ground. If you have 12v there after scrapping the inside of the connector a bit, you’ll now to get a wire brush in there and get the green out.
    No voltage…start looking for a broken wire, fuse ect leading to the trailer light connector.

Charles

Or get a trailer light tester then you can see easier what is going on.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Silverado’s have individual fuses for trailer lights that are independent of the trucks lights. brake/turn and running lights will be different fuses. More then likely you have some popped fuses.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Silverado’s have individual fuses for trailer lights that are independent of the trucks lights. brake/turn and running lights will be different fuses. More then likely you have some popped fuses.

Bingo!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

And in my gm manual they didn’t exactly kill themselves making the lables clear on the fusebox diagram. The don’t spell anything out. So after an hour of pulling and testing I figured out the blown fuse was labled Trpkn. Trailer parking. Now it makes sense….

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

hah Trpkn.

rotflol No Way! rotflol

dbrode
    Mingo, IA

That’s what I was wondering, about a fuse. I will look for Tpkrn. Thanks so much! IDOers…the best!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

What the other guys said, I accidentally pinched a wire closing my swing tounge amd didn’t notice before we took off. My dad was following me amd noticed I had no brake lights. After much head scratching (and repairing pinched wire) we finally figured out the individual fuse thing.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

x4 on fuses. Slept in parking lots each of the last two summers for this issue with multiple Chevy trucks.

Buy extra of the kind you need for the future. Stupid GM, didn’t include a spare on my 2014 Silverado flame

Now if it’s the fuse and if it keeps blowing, let us know.

basseyes

Mine just popped one a couple weeks ago. It was under the hood in the big fuse box on the drivers side above the wheel well of mine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.