Trailer leveling question

• dirtywater

How close is close enough? With the rig parked I set a level on the asphalt and the bubble is centered. Put the level on the trailer frame directly above that same spot, the bubble shifts to the right a bit which tells me the trailer is nose down just a bit? To the naked eye it looks pretty level.

I’ve currently got a 2” drop installed. I think 1-1.5” would be perfect but I don’t want to spend a bunch of coin on an adjustable hitch if it doesn’t matter that much. I actually started with an adjustable thinking that was the way to go, but the style I bought has a few inch “dead zone” right at the height I need. Really dumb design. Can do a 7” drop or 4” rise but can’t do level to 3” drop at all.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_7495-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_7497-scaled.jpeg

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Same truck. 2” drop. Its been great waytogo

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

I’d say good also

B-man

What’s that funny looking thing to the left of the boat??

Eric

From a functionality and mechanical point of view, whether or not the trailer is perfectly level doesn’t matter. For example, if the hitch is a few inches higher or lower than the height that makes the trailer level, and you look at how much tilt that creates between the front and rear ends of your leaf springs, you’ll hardly see a difference, and it won’t affect how the springs function. How these same deviations away from level affect the forces of pulling and braking, as transmitted to the trailer, is rather complicated to calculate, but if you have experience with simple vector calculations you already will know that the changes will be minuscule and couldn’t possibly affect the handling or “feel” of the trailer at all.

On the other hand, one thing that can matter sometimes is the orientation of the boat itself, and that’s the only thing I would measure. If your boat sits in a nose-down position it will collect rainwater across all parts of the boat bottom which are lower than the drain plug at the back. Given the fact that the open top of your boat your boat provides a huge area for catching rain, this weight can add up in a hurry. Rain collected across that huge area then gets funneled to the lowest parts of the boat, so just consider this illustration: A four-inch depth of water over a rectangular area of the boat bottom that is only three feet by four feet weighs 250 pounds. Have your boat just a little bit nose-high on your trailer and you won’t have to worry about this, as long as you remember to open the drain plug. And if you forget to open the plug, at least you can just open it and be done with the problem instead of trying to remove the water some other way.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

A truck right? jester

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Your just fine.Try and find a level road.

dirtywater

I walked into the Honda dealership with my man purse and said I wanted to tow my boat and this is what they gave me!

Thanks for all the feedback dudes.

Eric- if it’s gonna be raining I would have the cover on during transport for sure. It gets kept in the garage when not in use.

nord

dirty water, For unloading, you might want the front of the boat up higher. And by the way, only men in the know and with class drive a Ridgeline. You did it right. bow

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I walked into the Honda dealership with my man purse and said I wanted to tow my boat and this is what they gave me!

Lol it’s true its the best they got. jester Looks level enough for me.

MX1825

Whatever floats your boat. whistling

CaptainMusky

Isnt it a dental dam? LOL. Nice looking rig.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

That much would not even bother me if it were a tandem axle…
    F or E on the fuel tank of that rig will make it change that much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.