Trailer, enclosed or not, or extend the bed of the truck?

• icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I really don’t like the idea of extending the bed of my truck so that I can get the Wheeler and my Lodge both on the back. You have to deal with ramps and have no extra room if you want to bring a second shack.

So I’m thinking about a trailer, is it worth the extra money to go with an enclosed trailer versus and open one? I was thinking that it gives me security if staying out of town and the ability to store my Lodge in the off season.

Where is a good place to get a 12 X 6 trailer at a decent price? Looking for Aluminum frame. Also is a 12′ long enough to fit an older Yamaha Big Bear and a Lodge shack? I have no problem putting the Lodge in sideways if it will fit.

?????

I have a 6′ x 14′ Featherlite aluminum Enclosed trailer to put my gear in. Yes the enclosed is way better. First of all it keeps your gear clean and dry, the road salt will raise heck with your gear from towing down the road. I have the ramp door. I run a Can Am outlander 2 up machine and it fits in the trailer and we trun the otter cabins crosswise in the back or stack 2 ot three of them. Everything stays secure and ready to go. Even if I run tracks on the Cam AM it still fits. I would say well worth the extra money. You can find less expensive trailers that are steel for $3500 or so the aluminum ones from Featherlight coast in the 6-7K range. Good luck.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Suggest that you consider a Mission brand (Crossover model) snowmobile trailer. I purchased one last spring after selling my 6×12 trailer that carried my Skidoo Tundra LT and little else. My Mission trailer is able to carry two snowmobiles or 1 snow machine, my ATV and Otter Cabin. Best of all the model I chose has an aluminum frame and the whole back of the trailer drops and becomes a solid ramp. Name of the dealer is Mirsbergers in Hilbert, Wisconsin. Currently they don’t any in stock yet…. Cost $3995.00

404 ERROR
    MN

I have a few different things I do each year.

For launches with limited/no parking, I will cram everything into the bed of my truck. As you know, that is not an easy task unless you want to unload your shack and put all gear in the back seat and strap the house over the ATV. I came up with a rednecktified solution that I have put thousands of miles on without a hiccup, see picture below. The extension is a bed extender for a canoe or lumber. My small Frabill fits in the gap perfectly, but I have used 2×4’s to support my bigger house on the extension. All my gear can stay in the portable, which makes it convenient.

I also have a 14×6.5′ Aluma trailer. I can fit my ATV and big house on the trailer just fine. I can also fit my SXS and house on there with a little ingenuity. I do not like hauling a trailer unless I absolutely have to, but it much less of a headache with the trailer. While driving in snow/sleet conditions with an open trailer, your house and ATV get absolutely covered in slush. I have a cover for both the ATV and portable, but it is still a mess. If that bothers you, an enclosed trailer would be a better option. I do not own an enclosed as the cost of one tall enough to fit my SXS is outrageous…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2868.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I came up with a rednecktified solution that I have put thousands of miles on without a hiccup, see picture below. The extension is a bed extender for a canoe or lumber.

At least that is better than putting your 4 wheeler cross ways on a hitch extension. All the rigs I’ve seen set up that way are blocking the truck tail and brake lights,,,,,,, not good.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I have a few different things I do each year.

For launches with limited/no parking, I will cram everything into the bed of my truck. As you know, that is not an easy task unless you want to unload your shack and put all gear in the back seat and strap the house over the ATV. I came up with a rednecktified solution that I have put thousands of miles on without a hiccup, see picture below. The extension is a bed extender for a canoe or lumber. My small Frabill fits in the gap perfectly, but I have used 2×4’s to support my bigger house on the extension. All my gear can stay in the portable, which makes it convenient.

I also have a 14×6.5′ Aluma trailer. I can fit my ATV and big house on the trailer just fine. I can also fit my SXS and house on there with a little ingenuity. I do not like hauling a trailer unless I absolutely have to, but it much less of a headache with the trailer. While driving in snow/sleet conditions with an open trailer, your house and ATV get absolutely covered in slush. I have a cover for both the ATV and portable, but it is still a mess. If that bothers you, an enclosed trailer would be a better option. I do not own an enclosed as the cost of one tall enough to fit my SXS is outrageous…

I was looking at something very similar using this product and reinforcing it a little or building my own. Might even be able to use it as the ramp to drive the wheeler on.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

the last part

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I like the fact it comes with lights! waytogo waytogo

404 ERROR
    MN

At least that is better than putting your 4 wheeler cross ways on a hitch extension. All the rigs I’ve seen set up that way are blocking the truck tail and brake lights,,,,,,, not good.

I have magnetic lights that plug into the trailer adapter, they were not on in the picture. But yes, I have seen it too. Even in my application, the house is blocking the taillights too much for my liking.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

How about a 6.5′ x 14′ Toy hauler with a 3′ V? You can drive a 4 wheeler right in the back doors. The bonus is you have a fish house ta boot. FYI it’s light enough you can pull it on the lake with the wheeler. It has a vented furnace, two bunks and 6 holes!

I just happen to have one for sale whistling $5,500 Cheaper than an enclosed trailer!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160930_173844_776.jpg

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

lol nice plug Joe.

that Mission brand Crossover model looks sweet! might have to check one of those out if I am ever in the market for an enclosed trailer

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

How about a 6.5′ x 14′ Toy hauler with a 3′ V? You can drive a 4 wheeler right in the back doors. The bonus is you have a fish house ta boot. FYI it’s light enough you can pull it on the lake with the wheeler. It has a vented furnace, two bunks and 6 holes!

I just happen to have one for sale whistling $5,500 Cheaper than an enclosed trailer!

Inside Pics? You have my interest.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.