Trail Camera

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Have never owned a trail camera but think it’s time to get a few for the farm. Thinking 3 or 4 for the 40 acre farm. Hoping not to break the bank on them. Maybe get one decent one to set up on the food plot I’ve been working on.

Looking for any advice you guys have on cameras. Thanks.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I run cheap ones on public so im not the best bet for quality. I would get cell cams for that so you dont have to constantly check them since its your property.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was thinking of a cell came over the food plot so I don’t need to keep going back there. The other ones I’m not to worried about having to check as we are at the farm just about every weekend.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I think you’ve got a good idea going to put a nice one on your food plot and go more inexpensive on the others.

For reference I just got into deer hunting a few years ago and I bought two Stealth Cam cameras because they were on sale at Fleet Farm for $75 or less and my “expensive” camera was a Cabelas Gen II Outfitter for about $100.

Like a lot of things in life, it’ll be up to you to decide what level of stuff you want. I’m happy with the basic cameras I have because they take picture of deer and other animals and that’s all I need.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tactacam for my cell cam. And I’ve been pleased. The r4g has a better plan and pictures so bought a few of these as well

Attachments:
    1. IMG_33261.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As for cheap I like to just browse market place. You can find some higher quality non cell cam packages for cheap because every one is buying cell cameras now

hdog3385

I like Tactacam as well. Been running 4 of them for a couple years with the solar panel and lithium battery pack and they have been very reliable.

Matthew Sandys

I have spy point cell cam and have been happy. 100 pictures a month for free. It is nice. I can upgrade to get more pictures during the season.

Jeff Schomaker

I have run a number of different cameras. Right now MidwayUSA has a great deal going. Bushnell cell cam for $50. Then they have a bulk pack of Muddy cams for roughly $100 for 3 of them. I have ran a few of those and have been happy. I’m not a huge fan of the TactaCam picture quality.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I bought 2 tactacams( x and x2.0) this year to dip my toes into the cell cam world. I have been happy with them but have noticed the picture quality on my cheap StealthCams are much better than the tactacams. Does anyone have any recommendations on other cell cams that have some better quality pics without the huge price tag?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I bought 2 tactacams( x and x2.0) this year to dip my toes into the cell cam world. I have been happy with them but have noticed the picture quality on my cheap StealthCams are much better than the tactacams. Does anyone have any recommendations on other cell cams that have some better quality pics without the huge price tag?

The ones i posted above are as good as it gets for high resolution. Another guy on here has stealth cams and the pics he sends me are very nice. With tactacam if there is a certain picture you want in a higher resolution they do that for you on the app if I remember correctly

TH

I use spypoint. Solar chargers and 100 free pictures a month for $169 per camera.

27eyeguy

Decent luck with Moultrie. The Edge is super simple and seems to work in spots with pretty sketchy cell service. I really like the Moutrie app, lots of features.

duh queen

I’ve been running Bushnells for years and am very happy with them. Great optics, trigger time, and battery life on all the 4 models I have. I also bought 2 stealth cams(big mistake) from FF several years back. Lousy night pics, and futzy programming will keep me from buying any more.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I’m a public land hunter, so I run the cheapie Tasco ones from wally world, but really, they take great pics and don’t hurt the wallet when they are walked off with. I ordered some other cheapies off Natchez, that were on sale, think they were Primos maybe? Haven’t gotten them yet, but if I had private, I’d get the nice cell cams, too.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So I ended up with 2 Tactacam Reveal X Gen 2 cameras and 1 Moultrie EXO. These are my first cameras and it’s been interesting getting them set up.

The Moultrie was fairly straightforward to set up. Issues I’m having with it is its set for Verizon and I have very limited Verizon service at the farm. Moultries app is very easy to use and get info from. Moultries plans are very straightforward to. $10 for 1000 photos is their base plan. For HD photos it costs 5 of your alloted photos. That works for me.

Now the Tactacams have been a little more challenging to get set up. Owners manual is fairly vague so you have to search their website for additional info. The cameras are extremely picky on what SD card to use to the point I can’t believe they sell a camera without a card. Got myself signed up on their pro plan for unlimited photos and then had to buy a add on to get those photos sent to me. And another add on for quality photos. So their Pro plan is basically a starter plan. Think I’m $20 a month on these cameras and still need to buy the add on for HD photos.

But what the heck I’m getting deer photos on my phone and that’s very cool. The deer have destroyed my food plot. Have had nights with 100 photos off the plot.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20230920_140717.jpg

2. Screenshot_20230926_150714.jpg

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.