trail cam opinions needed

• Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

me and my son are looking to start bow hunting for deer next fall. I was wondering what trailcams that are out there that will allow you access them remotely from the cities to up north and also which ones are a decent price for more bang for the buck so to speak. I have no idea on trail cams, never used one before and I think it would help me in getting some bigger bucks for the wall. I also want to get some opinions on filming my sons hunt with a camera if you have knowledge on that as well.

thanks in advance.

shane hildebrandt

deertracker

Hopefully @waterfowler will jump in. He did a bunch of research on these for his SD property. There is a post somewhere but Im on my phone.
    DT

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Shane,

We have been using a Covert 3G Code Black camera out on a property in Central Wisconsin. It’s worked very well and the battery life is surprisingly great!

I will warn you though, it’s addicting looking at all of the pictures filtering in. But it’s also an invaluable tool when choosing a stand location and getting the timing correct when hunting!

Check it out!

http://covertscoutingcameras.com/products/cameras/special-ops-code-black/

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

thanks alot guys, I was showing my son some of the pictures from the website that had trail cam pics of the big bucks that have been taken and he was all excited. so now he is shooting his bow and is wanting to get out bow hunting next season. guess I better make a bigger stand or get a bigger ground blind.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

No doubt the cellular trail cams are an interesting innovation, but with that comes added cost and of course you need the network coverage. I would also think that if you won’t often be able to access the camera, you may need to look at a solar panel add-on as battery life could be an issue.

Cameras are totally addicting and what I’ve found is that they’re like potato chips: You can’t have just one. The more I have, the more I want AND the more I want to move them around. Movement patterns also change so where you might be getting good pics in one place for a while, then the deer movement will change and often I’ll want to reposition the cameras.

Also, not every location pans out. I’ve found a LOT of trails or areas that in theory looked good to me, but the deer obviously did not agree.

I’ve been running all Bushnell Trophy Cams based on two things that these cams were singled out for. First they have excellent battery life. Which is very important if you can’t tend the camera often. They run on AA batteries and they can use 4 or 8 AA batteries. Even in full on winter weather, I can get 3 months and thousands of pics on a set of batteries.

Secondly, the Trophy Cams take excellent day and night pics and have a very low false trigger rate.

There are a lot of good cameras out there, I’ve heard good things about Covert as well, but I’ve chosen to standardize on one brand to make operation and programming easier.

BTW, my #1 accessory is a card reader that plugs into a cell phone. Then I can dump the pics to my smartphone and I don’t have to have a pile of memory chips. I just pull the chip, move the pics to my cell phone, and put the chip right back in the camera. Whole process takes 30 seconds. You can buy the chip readers on eBay.

Grouse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.