Track on S-series Gunwales

• Brady Korwin

Hey all,
    I’m looking at picking up a utility boat and am liking the Lund S,SV,and SSV models. I would really like to do more trolling near shore on Superior (I live near Duluth) and set up some traxtech (or equal) tracks on the hull. The question is how do I do that with a regular gunwale?
    I’ve thought of using c clamps, mounting the tracks to the seats, and putting flush rod holders in the bench seats and gimbal mounting the track. I am not happy with those options because it seems like the benefit of the track rod holders is to get them as far out and over the gunwale as possible.
    It’s be great if sport trac came on the ssv models but alas it’s just a regular fish boat gunwale.
    Maybe bending a piece of aluminum around the gunwale and bolting it ti the boat is the way to go?
    Any input welcome. If cost wasn’t an object I’d be getting a new 20’ Alaskan or Polar Kraft 2010 T, but I’m more in the 2k and under market. Not a lot of 18’ bench boats out there. In fact Crestliner Sportsman 18 is the only other I’m aware of.
    Thanks.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Is the purpose for downriggers or rod holders? The typical solutions that I have seen is building an inverted L on the seat, bolted at the seat and the gunnel. It can be done by bending the alum or screwing plate to angle.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I am not happy with those options because it seems like the benefit of the track rod holders is to get them as far out and over the gunwale as possible

Driftmaster rod holders would mount easily to your gunwale.
    Maybe 3″ of rod will stick into your boat. One reason why I love them. Who wants 16″ of trolling handle in the boat. Not me.

With driftmaster, you have many options to consider. Don’t forget to use LH threads on the port side of boat.

Brady Korwin

SuperDave, initially rod holders but I’d want the ability to use riggers down the line. Modularity and customization are kind of the beauty of the tracks as opposed to hard mounting.

I think the L bracket would work but be kind of heavy to not flex. A vertical riser takes up space in a little boat. Traxtech makes custom claims for Lowe boats. It’d be sweet to get some of those for the round gunwale on the lunds.

Brady Korwin

Here’s an idea, install a couple sets more sets of oarlocks and make a track bracket that drops into those pinholes, maybe a bolt w/nut or cotter pin/lock to insure they don’t pop out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.