Towing Weight

• James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Greetings,
    Ran into a delema.
    The camper rig we are looking at only has a 4300 lb max towing.

Of course we don’t want to max it out –

With that said
    Looking to know what the Towing Weight would be on –

WX 1850
    Fuel Batteries etc.

Also With Single Axle and Tandem Axle.

Been Looking at lighter aluminum BUT they keep falling short.

Thank You for honest replies.

DTW

Take your rig to any truckstop. Weight scale is typically free.

DTW

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Take your rig to any truckstop. Weight scale is typically free.

DTW

Thank You!

We don’t have the boat yet. Trying to find the right fit with weight.

Problem is we want the WX 1850 and nothing compares.

Got frustrated in the shopping and hoped someone might know the package towing Weight.

It’s a longshot but we really like the wx1850

snelson223
    Austin MN

I bet it would be close to 4,000 by the time you add the motors, fuel, batteries and gear. I would go with a tandem axle trailer if you can.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

I bet it would be close to 4,000 by the time you add the motors, fuel, batteries and gear. I would go with a tandem axle trailer if you can.

That’s what we were thinking but towing Weight seems to not make sense in many cases.

Boats that added up heavy had a lower t.w and some that seemed light went with heavier t.w

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

According to previous discussion the WX1850 weighs 1800 dry.

So I’d guess right on 4000 as well. Totally agree, a tandem axle trailer with brakes has a lot better road manners.

It’s all going to come down to how comfortable you are towing close to the max. Personally, I have 5K towing capacity and I’ve used every ounce of it and more than once. Obviously, there is going to be a built-in margin, you’re not going to go into meltdown at 1 pound over the max.

Having the right trailer and having the rig PROPERLY set up for tongue weight IMO is the key and with the right setup I have towed over 4500 and it towed better than a lighter weight rig that was not as well set up.

Grouse

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

According to previous discussion the WX1850 weighs 1800 dry.

So I’d guess right on 4000 as well. Totally agree, a tandem axle trailer with brakes has a lot better road manners.

It’s all going to come down to how comfortable you are towing close to the max. Personally, I have 5K towing capacity and I’ve used every ounce of it and more than once. Obviously, there is going to be a built-in margin, you’re not going to go into meltdown at 1 pound over the max.

Having the right trailer and having the rig PROPERLY set up for tongue weight IMO is the key and with the right setup I have towed over 4500 and it towed better than a lighter weight rig that was not as well set up.

Grouse

Thank You!!
    Winnebago puts a 5,000 lb hitch on and sprinter said no, more like 4300 in one article and 4700 in another.

Vehicle will be Winnebago Revel – maybe

Totally Agree on the tandem since we will be traveling a lot.

Thank you Again!!

MNdrifter

Is it a camper or an RV? If a camper it must be a 5th wheel in MN to be legal to tow double. Also when looking at 5th wheel/boats total length should be considered. Tip to tail in MN I believe must be less than 70’. So that puts the camper somewhere around a 32’ model or less to include truck, trailer, boat nose to tail.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Is it a camper or an RV? If a camper it must be a 5th wheel in MN to be legal to tow double. Also when looking at 5th wheel/boats total length should be considered. Tip to tail in MN I believe must be less than 70’. So that puts the camper somewhere around a 32’ model or less to include truck, trailer, boat nose to tail.

Exactly!
    Should have paid better attention. We call everything a camper around here and just forgot.

It’s a Sprinter Van
    Winnebago revel
    )

Ripjiggen

Tandem axle will always tow better but twice the maintenance as well. Just keep in mind that unhooked with a tandem you are not moving that boat really anywhere. I looked at the van you talked about I don’t think there will be an issue. Your boat could go either way I think. I had a warrior 1890 at one point that was single axle and it towed great.

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

Tandem axle will always tow better but twice the maintenance as well. Just keep in mind that unhooked with a tandem you are not moving that boat really anywhere. I looked at the van you talked about I don’t think there will be an issue. Your boat could go either way I think. I had a warrior 1890 at one point that was single axle and it towed great.

Thank You!!
    That is something we have wrestled with. Tandem seems to be smarter if towing longer distance but single is more versatile.

HMoshier

My 18’ MX1825 with a 175, no kicker, batteries, full fuel tank, full windshield, trolling motor and tandem trailer was right at 4800 lbs. Not sure how that compares to a WX but I’d imagine it’s close.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s heavier that I would have thought, Howard!

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

My 18’ MX1825 with a 175, no kicker, batteries, full fuel tank, full windshield, trolling motor and tandem trailer was right at 4800 lbs. Not sure how that compares to a WX but I’d imagine it’s close.

That’s exactly what pushed us looking at aluminum boats in the first place.

Now we know the winnebago revel could pull that weight all day long – but it doesn’t change what the max towing Weight is and at age 62 I have learned a few things.

It ain’t worth the legal hassle at all.
    Remember a fellow who got in an accident which was NOT his fault but they determined he was over the towing limit and got drug through the mud big time.

Thanks for replying
    Have a great weekend

James Wascko
    S.W Michigan for now.

That’s heavier that I would have thought, Howard!

We had a feeling but hoped it was lighter

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

One of these days, I need to weigh my rig.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

My MX1825 with F150, T9.9, 3/4 tank fuel, 3 batteries, single axle trailer, half load of gear weighs 3850 lbs. Not sure why yours is so much heavier Howard. I don’t think another axle and wheels would weigh 1000 lbs.

kbmwer
    Rosemount, MN

My WX1850 with single axle trailer,150, T8, gas and gear weighed 3940 last year on a trip. I agree with the others that the double axle is great for towing but if you need to move it in a garage or any where else the single axle is the way to go.

HMoshier

My memory was off by 200 lbs. I pulled my weight tickets. Truck and boat weighed 9980. Truck alone was 5380. 4600 lbs for the boat and trailer. Yamaha 175, three deep cycle batteries, Ultrex, walk thru windshield, full fuel tank (35 gals). Trailer alone is 1250 lbs according to the MI registration I got when I bought the boat. I took most everything out of it (tackle, electronics, extra seats, etc) before weighing it.

By comparison, the Lowe FM1710, single axle trailer, I had prior to the MX weighed in at 3200 lbs with a 115 Merc, Terrova, 2 batteries and 26 gals fuel.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Just for clarification, but when you are posting weights, are you talking about the TOTAL weight of the rig, or just the axle weight? This can start making a difference on rigs that have 300#+ tongue weights, that is being reflected in the tow vehicle numbers.

Just curious if you guys are dropping the rig off the ball, and weighing the entire package, axle(s) & tongue weight (using the trailer jack)?

HRG

HMoshier

Weigh the whole rig then drop the boat/trailer in the parking lot. Weigh just the tow vehicle. Subtract the tow vehicle from the overall weight and you get the boat/trailer weight. You can also get your tongue weight that way.

The CAT scales at a local truck stop I use are generally busy enough with semi’s that you can’t drop the trailer on the scale.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.