Tow Speeds

• Doug M
    SE SD

Just curious what speed you tow your boat, camper, fish house. We were on our way home yesterday from a weekend camping trip with our 17′ Ice Castle and I will go 65 tops on the interstate. I was getting passed left and right by guys pulling boats and campers. Speed Limit is 80 and they were probably doing 80 or close to it. Maybe depends more on tires, tow vehicle and what you are pulling?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Maybe depends more on tires

My boat trailer tires indicate a top speed rating of 65 mph. I do on rare occasion go faster than that like when I’m passing someone but I try to set my cruise speed at 65 mph.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

99% of weekenders towing boats, rvs, fish houses, etc. do not understand tow ratings, tire speed ratings, or braking requirements.

If you step on the gas pedal and it goes, that’s all there is to it. Faster is better.

I won’t pull my tritoon over 60-65mph on the couple times a year we pull it someplace besides the river. It only has brakes on one axle, the tires are rated to 70mph, and the thing overall is a 25′ kite. I’ll pull my fishing boat up to 70mph and that’s about it. There’s just no need to go faster.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

I’ve upgraded all my trailer tires to 83 mph. That’s what I go.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I go 65 mph max. It comes down to what you can safely handle when you have that blowout or somebody cuts you off or traffic suddenly comes to a stand still which happens often on freeways in the summer.

Coletrain27

i know most fish houses it states in the owners manual not to go over 55mph on the highway. ill travel 70 on the interstate and let the other guys pass doing 80+

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ll go 70 on the freeway, but that is my limit. I have a dual-axle with disc brakes on both axles. I also keep a close eye on my tire pressure and regularly check the lug nuts.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I’ve got goodyear endurance tires on the trailer, and I believe they are rated at 87 mph. With that said, I try to pull between 70-72 mph. Anything more than that and my mileage really goes to crap…

Deuces

Anything more than that and my mileage really goes to crap…

I’m inline with this mostly. It seems there is that sweet spot with the engine/transmission when pulling certain things. I try to find that and maintain.

My Tahoe with a 5.3l with my boat it was around 73-74, interestingly my Yukon with a 6.2l was almost exactly 69mph. Never been in too much a hurry, rather just do what feels good to the vehicle.

mnfisherman18

I am typically going 73-77 when towing my boat on a 70MPH highway. I know plenty of guys who go 80+ and have not had an issue, but that’s more than I am comfortable with.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

interestingly my Yukon with a 6.2l was almost exactly 69mph

Giggitty.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’ll pull my boat at 75 all day long. Really depends on the tow vehicle. I see guys over loading there half ton trucks like no other and having a nice sway down the road as they try to speed away.
    If I tow my moms camper I usually go 60 to 65

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Nobody ever regrets going too slow.
    Some people are in a rush to get everywhere and never actually experience the life they are living. If you want to do 65 then do just that.
    I used to be in the mindset that I had to rush everywhere to make the most of my time. Too busy working 12-14 hour days, picking up nights at a bar and maybe even working weekends too. So when I was going on trips it was always rush there and rush back.
    Life in the slow lane is so much more enjoyable, I do less things but I get a chance to experience them now.

Not pretending to be better than the other, but just ask yourself why are we in such a rush.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

No more than 75 on the freeway. Typically try to set the cruise at or just below the flow of the right lane traffic so I don’t have to pass as often. I noticed this weekend I was getting 2-3 mpg more than usual going 70-71. Calm winds helped.

I never thought to check my trailer tires for a speed rating. I’m going to go check now.

As a side note, I have the 6 speed transmission in my 2015 F150 and I always set the transmission so it is a 5 speed. Less shifting and less lugging the motor.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Too slow is an issue. If you are on 80mph freeway going 60-65 that’s dangerous. If your setup can’t keep up to near the speed limit posted you should be on other routes.

65mph on a 70mph interstate is ok but going too slow can be just as dangerous as too fast.

Deuces

Correct me if I’m wrong Matt but there is a minimum as well on most interstates? At least the ones I’m familiar with here in MN.

Nobody is obligated to go any speed other than what’s legal.

CaptainMusky

You guys use cruise while towing? I dont, that will actually eat into your mileage and make more unnecessary shifts than just using the accelerator.
    Regarding speeds, 55 zone I will go 62. 65 I will go 72. I am rarely towing on an interstate, but I would generally be around 77 Id imagine. It really depends on terrain and whether there is wind, etc.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Correct me if I’m wrong Matt but there is a minimum as well on most interstates? At least the ones I’m familiar with here in MN.

I think some still do…if I remember it’s typically 10-15mph below posted limits.

Even still, if you are at posted mins and most people are 5-10mph over that difference is tremendous and affects stopping distance and avoidance.

If you’re the guy with a hundred cars stacked behind him on a busy interstate you’re causing a potential safety issue.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Correct me if I’m wrong Matt but there is a minimum as well on most interstates?

I believe its 55 mph.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>
    Correct me if I’m wrong Matt but there is a minimum as well on most interstates?

I believe its 55 mph.

It’s 40

mojogunter

I think on the interstate the minimum is 40. The problem with 45 on the interstate is the average speeds keep creeping up faster and faster. It is common to see traffic flowing at 75-80 mph. I agree with Matt when you have a vehicle going 30-40 MPH slower it is very dangerous. The worst is when the slow car stays in the left lane. They aren’t breaking the law, but it isn’t safe for everyone else in a big rush to get around them.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You guys use cruise while towing? I dont, that will actually eat into your mileage and make more unnecessary shifts than just using the accelerator.

On a trip up 35 from Wyoming to Duluth my truck will downshift only twice if I eliminate 6th gear as an option. Lugging is supposed to be harder on your vehicle than downshifting anyway but in my case it isn’t even an issue.

Between running in 6th gear and 5th gear, there is zero difference in gas mileage with my truck and boat.

Deuces

If you’re the guy with a hundred cars stacked behind him on a busy interstate you’re causing a potential safety issue.

So we’ll blame the person legally driving rather than the hundred cars that are stacked up?

Dont be stacked up, almost all those freeways are two lanes, just create space, wait your turn and pass when allowed. Problem solved. If a driver can’t notice a vehicle going considerably slower than they are on a freeway then they shouldn’t be going that fast in the first place, or become a better driver. Imo a slow paced vehicle is easy to spot at least couple hundred yards ahead which is plenty of time for a proper reaction.

I completely get the “everyone goes same speed there is no problem argument”. But there’s reality, and reality shows there will always be issues like slow drivers, as long as we can all take a deep breath, realize our Busch lattes will survive just a tad bit longer in the cooler we’re all better off. I hate tailgaters, with a passion. Seems alot of folks is in such a rush nowadays.

I agree tho mojo, and I believe it is illegal? that slow drivers cannot be in left lane.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Speed equals equipment. If tires/trailer is capable of 90, load it correctly and go.

Cruise control- if your truck can’t handle it, pull a lighter load or go manual.

Tow/haul setting. If your too low rpm or shifting excessively, use it.

If your that guy with vehicles stacked up behind you…..
    Most states minimal speed is 10 under posted or weather pending. If your going 15-20 under keep in mind that there are laws for impeding traffic. Though they don’t enforce it much. But if an accident happens behind you because you were impeding traffic, you could be liabl

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I think on the interstate the minimum is 40. The problem with 45 on the interstate is the average speeds keep creeping up faster and faster. It is common to see traffic flowing at 75-80 mph. I agree with Matt when you have a vehicle going 30-40 MPH slower it is very dangerous. The worst is when the slow car stays in the left lane. They aren’t breaking the law, but it isn’t safe for everyone else in a big rush to get around them.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mr.Beads wrote:</div>

They are breaking the law. That is a passing lane. Not a slow cruising lane. That law changed last year I believe

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If all you guys would just keep working from home then 40 in the fast lane wouldn’t be a thing. I drive to the cities everyday. During the shut down was the best year I have ever seen.
    Dang you non Essentials 🤣

CaptainMusky

Cruise control- if your truck can’t handle it, pull a lighter load or go manual.

The trucks Ive had handle using cruise just fine, I just find less shifting and better mileage when I dont use it. Its not an excessive amount of shifting by any means. I always use tow/haul mode when towing. That is one of the nicest recent additions to tow vehicles.

Deuces

If all you guys would just keep working from home then 40 in the fast lane wouldn’t be a thing. I drive to the cities everyday. During the shut down was the best year I have ever seen.
    Dang you no. Essentials 🤣

Truth!!!!

I didn’t touch the brake on a highway in the city for a half year. Definitely one of those stories I’ll be telling the grandkids!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Too slow is an issue. If you are on 80mph freeway going 60-65 that’s dangerous. If your setup can’t keep up to near the speed limit posted you should be on other routes.

65mph on a 70mph interstate is ok but going too slow can be just as dangerous as too fast.

The speed limit on 94 going through most of Wisconsin is 70mph. The guy towing within his limits, staying in the right-hand lane going 55mph is not the biggest danger. The guy towing and passing constantly at 85mph with tires and equipment not rated for that kind of speed is an excessively higher risk.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.