Learning from my first tournament !

• theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Hi IDA

Yesterday was my first tournament..I entered a bass club as a non-boater. I wanted to share with you some quick thoughts, takeaways and observations for anybody new to bass clubs & club tournaments.

Know a little about the person your fishing with – If you get paired up with someone, you should contact them before hand. Find out the strategy. Exchange contact information. Make sure they have a life jacket or else bring your own that fits you. Get the directions before hand. Be a good co-pilot. Be ready to help with a little trip planning or directions. You could be on your way to the tournament together or riding seperate. The tournament could be an hour or 2 away. Leave early. Plan ahead. Stay in touch. If you cannot make it, call. If you’re going to be late, call. If there is a problem, call. Bring a pen and paper to write information down if needed. Other boaters & non-boaters are counting on partners to be there so if you cannot make it call.

Keep an open mind Weather conditions can change your strategy in a quick way. A nice protected launch free from the wind suddenly becomes whitecaps when you get out in the open. Be flexible with your setup. Make the best of tough conditions.

Be prepared Bring your raingear. Stow it in the boat. Even if you put it on to break the wind off of you & take the chill off of you, then do it. Your boater doesn’t always have a bubble in the passenger seat for you to sit behind so dressing warm is your responsibility ! Early pre-spawn was 45 degree air temp. A bass boat that’s 2nd in line to get out with 150HP motor, needs to hit 50mph whipping across the lake in order to keep the 225 horse from passing him to the same hot spot. Bring gloves. Bring your own lifejacket. Stay warm & it’s easier to thumb the reel on the baitcaster when you can feel your thumb

Bring some cash It’s a good idea to keep some cash on hand. Some bass clubs like mine have non boaters pay $15.00 to the boater for expenses to offset the tournament day. Some boaters won’t take the money but perhaps you can offer to enter them in the big bass pot, buy them lunch, share something with them to show your appreciation for the effort of cleaning out some dry storage for you to keep your lunch in, extra clothes, etc..

Be good at your craft Learn to case using both hands. Sometimes space is limited. A non boater throwing sidearm on a cast has potential to seriously injure their partner if your not careful. If your facing away from your partner in a 17 foot boat with a 7 foot rod & a bait hanging 12 inches down on an overhand cast, you’ve got serious potential to ruin someones day. Have a first aid kit & know how to use it. Have a hook remover kit. Know how to help if the need arises. Keep some spare clothes in case you end up losing your balance and stepping in the water, it can seriously hamper your day with a wet foot, leg or worse if your whole body goes in.

Have fun – Keep the spirits up Have fun. Thank your partner for their efforts of fishing & prefishing. If your having a good time & the boater is the one that got you there let them know it.

Fish on !!

and No.. I didn’t hook my partner, fall in the water, get lost or forget my lifejacket..those we’re only my observations & worst case scenario thoughts. It’s like the video where Ted Nugent shows you how to shoot his bow & arrow then stops to say “Ok folks, Don’t shoot your huntin dog”.. Maybe you had to be there ? it was funny.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Mr. Nugget,

Thanks for your post. I’ve always wanted to do a Walleye tourney but have struggled with what proper protocal call was. Your information was very helpful.

like_mike-ike
    Burnsville, Minnesota

I highly recommend this as a fun way to get into tournament fishing. In most cases the clubs are competitive, but not cut throat. I am beginning my 3rd year as a non-boater and still loving it. I get a chance to cruise in some great boats with some great guys that I now call my friends.

$15, man you’ve got it good. I have been giving $30-40 each day and still feeling like I am shorting them.

theodorenugget
    Sugar Land, TX

Stayed tuned Waldo.. Next tournament is this coming Saturday & I look forward to posting more good times !!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.