Touching up lower unit paint

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I just picked up a used pro kicker which has some chips in the paint on the lower unit. Looks like it was trailered on some gravel roads. Any idea if I need to do anything special to touch them up? I think they are down to metal so not sure if I need to prime these little chips? Not looking to repaint the whole thing as it is in good shape otherwise.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Often you will have some oil residue and that is a MUST to remove. If your just filling in a few paint chips, I wouldn’t be too concerned about priming. You can get most touch up paints in either a small bottle with an applicator brush or get a cheap model brush set an a box store.
    The sheen of the paints normally won’t match perfect, so you will see the difference up close

Karry Kyllo

What Randy says. I run Mercs too and always keep some Merc paint on hand to touch up lower units when needed. I’ve never used any primer.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Not what your asking, but this reminded me of my dad always hitting the prop with a quick shot of spray paint anytime the prop wasn’t 100% jet black, so grandpa wouldn’t give him crap about his driving.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

A painted skag is a happy skag although the true river fisherman seldom has a skag anymore. )

I just spray painted my merc black 3 or 4 times a summer. Makes clients think you know what your doing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.