Tonneau Cover

• Derreck Moen

I just bought a truck and thought the dealerships prices were a little steep for a tonneau cover and bed liner. I know part of the quoted price is installation which I feel comfortable doing. What are some of the reviews for the cover you have. What would you recommend. Would you do a bed liner or spray in liner.

404 ERROR
    MN

Absolutely hands down do a spray-in liner. Protects much better and doesn’t hold in moisture like the covers that lay in the bed.

For Tonneau covers, I have owned Access, Tonnopro and Truxedo. I did not like the tonnopro at all and sold it a month or so after I purchased it. It did not mount solid and loosened after a couple days. The mounts they came with were on the cheaper side and bent easily. The Truxedo was nice and only reason I do not own one anymore is I sold the truck with it on it as my new truck was different.

The truck I have now came with an Access cover and it blows the others out of the water. It is quite a bit more expensive than the other two brands, but it is a nicer product.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

I have a Lund Genesis soft tonneau, and really like it. I installed it in about 20 minutes, and like that I can just roll it up. I can lock my tailgate, so it’s somewhat secure. Yeah, somebody could peel it back and get an arm in, or use a knife and cut it, but I also don’t store high end electronics etc… in there. It has lifetime parts warranty as well. I accidentally busted one of the latches (completely my fault), and they sent me a new one that arrived in 2 days.

I like that I can roll it up and haul things. I had a fiberglass tonneau on a previous truck and I hated it. Taking it off was a huge PITA. I just did a self spray in bedliner since I have a cover on it, and just wanted some basic protection.

Derreck Moen

How difficult was the self spray liner? Are you happy with it? Would you do it that way again?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m not handy enough to do my own spray in. Did the Line-X and was the best money spent on upgrades.

Tonneau was an Access from http://countrysidecovers.com/. They were good to deal with. First cover for me and happy. Install didn’t sound difficult but I was in a hurry so they did it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You could always start with a bed matt and see if that fits your needs.
    I have used DEEZEE rubber mats on all my trucks. I always figured if I scratched up the sides too bad I could always cover it up later with a spray in liner.
    I even have one in my current truck and it has a spray in liner too.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Mine came with a factory installed spray in bed-liner. I love having the bed liner, if I were to ever buy a pickup without one, I think one of the first things I’d do is install it.

I don’t know the brand name of my tonneau, however I went with one of the cheaper ones I could find. I would NOT recommend doing that. If I did it over, I would spend more money for a better brand. I installed it by myself and it was quick and easy to do. The latches are not the greatest on it, and if I get a strong crosswind (especially common while driving across South Dakota) it will often times unlatch a corner and it is game over from there.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

It was pretty easy, it’s not nearly as durable as a line-x etc… though. I just took my truck through the car wash, let it dry in the sun, then sprayed it on. I have some parts that are scratched off from hauling sharper things like patio table with metal legs. I guess it really depends on what you’re going to haul, and how often.

Honestly, most of the scratches in mine are probably from filling it with dirt and wood chips and shoveling it out.

CaptainMusky

IDK, I was convinced I wanted a spray in liner for my new truck. It came with a bedliner so I was ok for a while and thought I’d just do it later. I was recently reminded of why I loved a plastic bedliner. I loaded it with rock and black dirt two separate trips and the product slides out nicely. Never works like that with a spray in. Granted theirs a downside to sliding in that if you don’t want something to slide you better secure it somehow but at this point I’d rather deal with that.
    Right now I would get a bedrug over a spray in liner any day. Nice and cushioned and extremely durable. I’m planning to keep my plastic liner and eventually get a bedrug.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

How difficult was the self spray liner? Are you happy with it? Would you do it that way again?

I have buddies that have done it… and while it works, I surely can’t see taking the chance of something peeling, or “half” sticking in the new 40k truck I bought… went with Linex again, and love it. Third truck I’ve done it.

I have seen a truck on the lot with the self done spray in… and it confirmed that it is best done by the pros on any truck or items you care about with a bigger value.

Derreck Moen

Thanks guys. Per your advise I am going to not spray a liner. I think I will go with a box carpet or something of that sort. If it gets scratched I have someone spray a bed liner in there. I believe the tonnaeu cover will give me most of the protection I need. I do haul a lot of dirt, and wood but I will just have to utilize the trailer more. Thanks for the help.

blank

FYI, Fleet Farm has Access or Lund tonneau covers on sale basically every week. In fact, I think Lund has a $50 rebate going on right now.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Access cover hands down.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I have had a hardcover called Undercover. 3 of them to be exact and love the hard cover. You can stand on it if you need to. 2 guys and 5 minutes and you can take it off and hang on the wall. It weighs like 60 lbs.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

so…..i’m going to obviously be way in the minority here but i way prefer an aluminum topper. just my preference for what i use a truck for!!!!!

404 ERROR
    MN

Good thread Resurrection, Batman!

Since this tread in 2016, I also migrated to a topper, but went Fiberglass. I still take it off in the summer and put my Tonneau back on, but I really enjoy the topper for hunting/ice fishing.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Access cover works the best for me.Plus it has a lifetime warranty.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Good thread Resurrection, Batman!

Since this tread in 2016, I also migrated to a topper, but went Fiberglass. I still take it off in the summer and put my Tonneau back on, but I really enjoy the topper for hunting/ice fishing.

shock wow never looked at the date. Came up as a new thread/post do added my 2 cents. rotflol rotflol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

IDK, I was convinced I wanted a spray in liner for my new truck. It came with a bedliner so I was ok for a while and thought I’d just do it later. I was recently reminded of why I loved a plastic bedliner. I loaded it with rock and black dirt two separate trips and the product slides out nicely. Never works like that with a spray in. Granted theirs a downside to sliding in that if you don’t want something to slide you better secure it somehow but at this point I’d rather deal with that.
    Right now I would get a bedrug over a spray in liner any day. Nice and cushioned and extremely durable. I’m planning to keep my plastic liner and eventually get a bedrug.

I’ve thought about this too. When pulling your ice house out of the back of a spray in bedliner is it a real PITA cause the tub grips the spray in? My boss has a spray in bedliner and I went to grab a roto molded cooler out of there one time and it was like the thing was glued to the truck

munchy
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

I’ve thought about this too. When pulling your ice house out of the back of a spray in bedliner is it a real PITA cause the tub grips the spray in? My boss has a spray in bedliner and I went to grab a roto molded cooler out of there one time and it was like the thing was glued to the truck

LineX isn’t very sticky. Plastics and other harder objects slide over it pretty easy. Rubber doesn’t move very easily however.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have a spray-in Linex liner in my 2013 F150 that was applied brand new. The truck also has a Truxedo tonneau cover from the date it was new. I will never own a truck without the spray-in liner again. When I want something that’s easy to slide out, I will either put it on top of a tarp or slide some 2×4’s in the bed and set whatever it is on top of them. The Truxedo tonneau cover is extremely durable and has never loosened or come undone and is still completely waterproof. A run through the car wish with it covered shows no water inside the box whatsoever after 6 years. It takes me maybe 5 seconds to go from and either open box to closed, or vice versa.

Reef W

LineX isn’t very sticky. Plastics and other harder objects slide over it pretty easy. Rubber doesn’t move very easily however.

Rhino is the other big name and they are kind of rubbery and a lot grippier than LineX is.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I have a 2006 truck with an access cover that still works great, whereas I saw other brands lose the velcro stickyness after a few years on other trucks like mine. 13 years seems pretty good and no signs of slowing.

Truck came with a “non-slip” plastic bedliner that is really “less” slip, but I love it.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Two weeks after I made that post I traded that truck in for a new one. I went with the BedRug for the new truck and absolutely LOVE it! You can crawl around on your hands and knees reaching for things and arent punishing yourself with every move.
    Its easy to clean, just hose it off and its very durable. Obviously not as durable as spray on, but I havent ripped or torn it yet and I use my box a lot. I dont load rock and dirt into my truck, I have a trailer for that. I would absolutely get a BedRug again and not think twice about it.

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

Napa bed liner rolls on simple real think and durable

B-man

My buddy has the bed rug too, as you said it’s very easy on the knees (he has a topper), and I’d say it’s the only way to go if a guy has one.

abster71
    crawford county WI

Just an FYI dealerships don’t give you anymore money for accessories one truck I had they said I could keep the 1000.00 topper and running boards cause they were just gonna take them off. Half the time they don’t even look a truck over when they give you a trade in wouldn’t worry about scratched beds go with a cheap mat or carpet.

Cooperman
    Nevis, Mn.

I have the Bed rug and hate it. Maybe if you’re going to trade in your truck in two years, but not good long term. And yes, the only good thing about it is it’s nice on your knees. The piece that is on the tale gate eventually separated from the rest of the liner. It’s very hard to clean. You have to be very careful what you put on top of it because it stains. It absorbs water and it smells. My next truck will have spray-on, plastic, or rubber mat.

CaptainMusky

I have the Bed rug and hate it. Maybe if you’re going to trade in your truck in two years, but not good long term. And yes, the only good thing about it is it’s nice on your knees. The piece that is on the tale gate eventually separated from the rest of the liner. It’s very hard to clean. You have to be very careful what you put on top of it because it stains. It absorbs water and it smells. My next truck will have spray-on, plastic, or rubber mat.

Ive had it for 3 years and have none of the issues you mentioned. I had a hole in my tonneau cover so rain seeped in for a while until I patched it. I simply used a pressure washer to spray it out and no odor whatsoever.
    I had a leaky battery from my boat that tipped over and spilled on it. Again, used the pressure washer and no stains or anything.
    Not sure what you are using to clean it, but it certainly isnt hard to clean unless you were to haul dirt or something in there. I could see that being a pain. Its marine grade carpet so it should be no harder to clean than your boat.

munchy
    NULL

I had a Bedrug with a hard Tonneau in my last truck. Loved it! Truck was a 2005 and was installed when purchased, Bedrug was still there when I sold the truck last spring. Would take it out once a year vacuum and/or hose it off. Had spilled various oils a couple times and about 10 gallons of gasoline on it once. A little Dawn Dishsoap and a power washer got it like brand new each time. Never had a smell on mine either. Only issue I had was the zipper holding the sides to the bottom started to corrode I believe that was from road salt getting to it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.