Tonneau cover

• Umy
    South Metro

A thought before I pull the trigger.
    I put the new HOOK strip on my tonneau ( Truxedo) cover this summer, both sides.
    The LOOP is worn and needs to get replaced.

Do I take off the cover and sew in new LOOP and re-assemble or do I buy the replacement cover?

Seems to me it’s going to cost around $100-125 to get the new loops sewn on ( that’s me taking the cover off, removing the old LOOP and bringing it somewhere for sewing) Several of my hours of time.
    Buying the replacement covers I have seen were between $175-$250 when I can get a new one for around $600.
    I would be inclined to buy the hard, 3 piece fold up one if I went new.
    2010 F150 6.5 foot bed in case you are wondering.
    Anyone done this or had this issue before?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Just a thought but have you tried contacting truxedo? Depending on what model you have I believe some of them have a lifetime warranty. I’ve heard their service is good. Maybe they would only cover the part and not the labor.

Another option might be to design a different solution. Maybe something as simple as a bungee on the hook inside the bed on one side….

I’ve owned 2 truxedo’s and never had a problem with either of them.

Umy
    South Metro

Yeah it’s 13 yrs old so I get that the loop is worn. Online said only the original owner was covered. Tried a small crank strap but the wind just gets under and it just flaps. Velcro when new probably works great. I can order mine for $110 so probably will. Videos online look pretty easy to install.
    Just curious what others may have done. Tried the adjusting screws at various settings as well.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Access replaced mine for the shipping cost. Only brand I would ever buy. Service is everything to me.

404 ERROR
    MN

Woof. I quite literally just “gave away” an almost new 6.5′ Truxedo cover for my old 11′ F-150….No one wanted it! Eventually took $50 for it to clear space…

I’ve never replaced the velcro, but I did have a cover replaced by Truxedo when the stitching gave out in a corner. I would give them a call and see what they can do for you before you spend money fixing it.

isu22andy

I’ve really liked every access cover I’ve had on trucks . I got a factory chevy one now and it sucks !

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Like stated above call them, I had a 2nd hand cover that needed the same thing, gave them the Serial # off the frame and 3 days later a new cover showed up at my door step.

huntinforfish

Access is the way to go for a soft, roll up style. Be careful with the hard flip up ones. They sit lower in the box. A cooler barely would fit under the one that came on my truck. No way my portable fish house would have fit. I switched to the Access, no complaints.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Do you know how to use a sewing machine?
    If so, know anyone that has one?
    Its a super easy process if you have the skills and equipment.

Umy
    South Metro

Couple things:
    Thanks for all of the replies.
    Called Truxedo this morning. I could not find the serial number where their website said it would be. Found another number in the process.
    The young lady I spoke to asked about the “other” number.
    Gave it to her and she chuckled ( in a nice way) that it was made in 2009 and that the serial number position they list on their website starts from 2013 models forward.
    She told me it was not covered under a warranty but she could help me order a new one. $160 for the cover and $19.99 for the delivery. Explained how all the metal parts on my current one would work on the new one.
    I told her I found the same cover on Etrailer for $109 and no shipping. She said “yeah, we don’t compete with our dealers” She asked me for the part number on the Etrailer site and said that is the correct one for you.
    I said I was sorry but that I would order from Etrailer as it was significantly cheaper and she chuckled again and said “so would I”
    Told her she was very helpful and thanked her for being so nice. It’s coming next week.
    The you tube video I watched shows it’s pretty simple to do.
    My second purchase from them in a year. Really like that site.

404 ERROR
    MN

I told her I found the same cover on Etrailer for $109 and no shipping. She said “yeah, we don’t compete with our dealers” She asked me for the part number on the Etrailer site and said that is the correct one for you.
    I said I was sorry but that I would order from Etrailer as it was significantly cheaper and she chuckled again and said “so would I”

Honestly, I like to hear that. They don’t undercut their distributors. Builds relationships within the supply chain. Consumers may see it as a PITA, but it’s better long term. Having spent my whole career in supply chain management, you don’t see this often and then distributors get fed up and drop the product all together.

Umy
    South Metro

Yeah, I liked hearing that. Same understanding of business practices

munchy
    NULL

This is one of the reasons I went with the Access Lomax Hard cover. I’ve seen WAY too many soft tonneaus flapping in the breeze with bad velcro. Also because a quick knife cut gains access. Have loved every aspect of mine in the 4 years I’ve had it and will have one on my next truck.

Umy
    South Metro

My new replacement cover arrives sometime this week.
    Will be excited to get it installed.
    I have no problem with the soft cover and if its lasted 13 years I’m pretty impressed.
    I don’t keep anything of major value in there anyway and the gate is always unlocked cause I don’t want anyone cutting their way into it. Just want stuff to dry when I’m on my way to the lake of Mother in Law’s up North and it rains. So far that’s not been a problem.
    When I get a new vehicle I will get a hard top cover for sure – not a topper guy but hard like the others mentioned here.
    Thanks for the input folks

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When I get a new vehicle I will get a hard top cover for sure – not a topper guy but hard like the others mentioned here.

The F-150 I sold in August had a factory installed roll up tonneau cover. As stated, it can be knifed through. But its easy to roll up and haul taller items too. The tail gate was lockable. I had it for 5 years and the velcro never wore out. I park my truck in a garage at home and at work though, so the outdoor elements don’t play a big role.

The Ranger I replaced that truck with has a hard accordian-style factory Ford cover with a keyed lock on it. I’ve never seen anything quite like it. It rolls up in the front, and since its hard, it can’t be knifed through. It may be like what Munchy is referencing in his post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.