Tonka

I’m making the commute to Minnetonka on Sunday.

Yes, I’m aware it will be in the mid 90s with 17mph rollers straight out of the south.

Anybody been out there lately? Going for bass primarily.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Good luck with the pleasure boaters.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Its been yes since I last fished Tonka. I use to fish it fairly often when I lived in the Metro. Mostly due to the # of tourney’s that use to be out there. I know it would be one of the last places I’d fish this weekend if I had a choice. Between the Heat ( Bringing out the pleasure boaters ) Wave’s ( From the wind and the pleasure boaters ) and the pounding its been taking ( Recent Denny’s tourney on Monday and several other coming up out there ) I know this is not much help to your OP. Normally this time of the year most of the fish are kind of between finishing up the spawn and making the move to the normal summer locations. With the recent weather I would not be surprised if the fish are already starting to setup on their normal summer locations. I would fish the outside weed edges with a jigworm to cover some ground. Once you locate a fish or two I’d slow down and fish the area with nikko Rig or a dropshot. there may still be a fair amount of small buck bass still up shallow guarding beds and fry. These should be easy to catch with a weightless stick worm or possibly a chatterbait. The smaller out of the way bays may be your best bet to get away from some of the boat traffic and wind. I’d be on the lake as early as possible as well. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Dan Baker

Bass are still up shallow. Wacky rig under docks should produce.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Caught a couple nice Pike trolling spinner baits a couple weeks ago.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Get there by sun rise and leave by noon and you will be ok. Do not be this guy.

Attachments:
    1. 30A325A9-DAFB-4E33-84B9-3A52D9821F41.png

Charles

I am assuming moving into next weekend, the fish should start head into the summer spots. Crap we still have 65 degree up in Brainerd still could be spawning lol.

tim hurley

Get there 1st light, you will be glad you did. Great potential there, good luck.

queenswake
    NULL

I have avoided Minnetonka for years just because I wanted to avoid the craziness. However, after fishing it this Spring, I realize now how foolish that was. On my last outing, we boated a dozen walleyes (half over 20 and one 26″). Three very nice pike. Tons of bass, crappie, bluegill. It rivaled any trip up north. We were bobbering with minnows and it was constant bites.

Pick your times (avoid the weekend when you can) and pick your bays that don’t get the powersports as much and you’ll be fine.

Update: Was on the lake at 6:30 and left at 2. Boat traffic wasn’t too bad. Neither was the heat.

The wind, however, sucked.

White caps on most of the lake and bays. Did manage to catch some bass, though. Best 5 went only 11.67

Caught most of our fish on the first break, after not catching a single one flipping docks. Our fish came on a variety of stuff, but swim jigs and All Terrain rattlin AT jigs caught the most. The pike certainly enjoyed the jigs as well.

Have a tourney there again next weekend, so I’ll send another update after this week of brutal heat.

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

I was out there today from 7-9 am and the Northers were very aggressive. Fished the weed line from 12-15 feet. Caught them with river mix and raps. Other then being slimed a few times it was a lot of fun!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.