Tipsy Otter

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

No I didn’t get video of an otter that ate too many sour apples, last fall I bought the small Otter pro sled to use for hauling deer out. Worked great when pulled by hand, the one downside I found is when I put the tow bar on and tried pulling it behind the atv up and out the logging road out of the valley and then in the hay field afterwards back to the house it wanted to tip and did a few times to the side (west Central WI coulee country so flat ground does not exist). Anyone had this and found an effective solution?

Or, would upsizimg to a larger model greatly increase it’s stability on sloped terrain? I’ve been thinking about having two anyway, one I can leave at my parents (where it would be atv towed) and one at the in-laws (hand pulled only there anyway).

BigWerm
    SW Metro

No idea, but that’d be a good bar name in Fergus Falls/Otter Tail County.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I should note, empty (and going down hill predominantly) it was ok, it was going back up with a 200# deer in it that it became prone to wanting to roll over

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Brute that you are I thought you’d just latch onto the antlers and pull a deer back to the in-laws. Now me, I’d make sure it was a head shot right off the deck out there, not a bad drag at all….lol I can’t imagine had dragging anything up those hills out there.

CaptainMusky

What style hitch do you have on it? The Otter Hitch? I wouldnt think it could roll with that hitch since its got that spring and t bar on the end to stop that. Now if you fabricated something else that is likely the case.
    A buddy made a hitch for his one man Clam and behind the snowmobile it flipped over on the groomed snowmobile trail.
    The other thing is the majority of the weight is going to be on one side of the sled I would imagine. Perhaps laying it and strapping it down across the width might make it more stable???

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

That may be part of it, I’ve been using the hitch for my frabil shack as it fit the molded pockets perfect as well, it doesn’t have a stop to keep the swivel from swivelling though.

Tom – with the trails he has through there there isn’t much dragging to do that we can’t get at with the pickup or tractor, but that sled sure was nice to keep last year’s deer dry when we floated him over the creek. My parents place is definitely less ‘groomed’ so there are several area deer like to find to die in that the ATV can’t even get to.

CaptainMusky

That may be part of it, I’ve been using the hitch for my frabil shack as it fit the molded pockets perfect as well, it doesn’t have a stop to keep the swivel from swivelling though.

I guarantee that is the issue then. Otter didnt used to have that T on there originally. A different buddy was up in Canada on LOW and it flipped on it and destroyed literally everything in his sled and was scattered for like 100 yards. That was many many years ago. I have never seen those hitches without that T on them where the spring is and I have had an otter for nearly 20 years that should tell you how long ago that was.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

The otter hitch was the ticket, used it to help haul stands out today and never tipped once on me.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

In my opinion your doing way to much work using your wheeler and a sled. For under $700 you can just drag them 10 feet at a time. Save your back poomunk. ????
    http://www.lilskidder.com

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

In my opinion your doing way to much work using your wheeler and a sled. For under $700 you can just drag them 10 feet at a time. Save your back poomunk. ????

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.