Tips on Introducing Puppy to Boat

• hartridge

Any tips on introducing a puppy to a boat. Have a golden retriever pup who is 11 weeks old. Would like to get him in the fishing boat next week. Did a thorough cleaning of boat last week for hooks, lures, bobbers, etc. Would love to make him a fishing companion and looking for tips as to what has worked or not worked.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
    1. 02E07FAB-37B0-4D15-8868-F9DCF95519FF.jpeg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Bring drinking water and something to create shade.

Good luck!

-J.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Bring treats. Give plenty of potty breaks.

Gitchi Gummi

sounds silly but with a pup that young, I’d have him in a doggy lifejacket

Reef W

sounds silly but with a pup that young, I’d have him in a doggy lifejacket

Or if you know he can swim at least a harness. It makes hauling my dumba$$ dog back in a lot easier.

Gitchi Gummi

Or if you know he can swim at least a harness. It makes hauling my dumba$$ dog back in a lot easier.

LOL.. your dog has got to be pretty darn heavy when pulling him back in the boat from the water!

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

First time or two out I’d have a partner holding him and giving him reassurance the whole time. Go trolling slow and read your dog – as to how he is doing – the whole time. Make it fun for the pup as much as possible.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My German shepherd always wears a life jacket. She loves swimming with us and it helps me haul her back in.
    Just make sure you have drinking water a bowl and some treats. Like others said lots of potty breaks. I think that pretty much sums it up

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

just like a little kid – keep them entertained, something to distract them when nervous, and short trips building up to a day long + the above with shade and water/pee breaks

stevenoak

I started mine in the boat in the drive way and garage. Tethered so he couldn’t jump out, and hurt himself. Then in calm water with trolling motor. Also let him ride in my lap first few trips. If he got nervous. Some just take to it with enthusiasm. Just be sure to do it at their pace.

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Brought our 7-month border collie on the boat a couple weeks ago and she loved it. We had her tied up to a boat seat. She kept leaning over the edge barking at the waves as they went by lol
    I told her she would never catch fish that way. We gave her a bone to chew on that distracted her for a bit.

Attachments:
    1. 7CDFD753-4F97-4A4D-9AC7-5100BB9C1498-scaled.jpeg

Mike

Probably going to not be a popular take but….. Fishing with a dog in the boat sucks!!! Especially a puppy… Just my opinion.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I often take my dog with in the boat. She’s a 9 year old British lab that’s in my profile photo. I can recall when I first took her when she was about 4 months old. As others have mentioned, bring a treat to chew on, a bowl for water, and a way to keep them out of the elements if it rains or if its sunny. Nowadays I still take her with regularly but not if its super hot out or if its going to rain. A leash at first is a good idea and/or a life jacket for the dog too as has already been mentioned. Its very important to keep a clean boat with a dog or puppy in it. You don’t want hooks or lures laying around.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Mike you are right….somewhat.I enjoy the company of a dog more than i would most people.I have fished with a few people that really sucked.
    I was not sure how the dog i own now would take to the boat.I believe her OCD mannerisms have turned towards the boat,she does’nt want to get out of it.
    Hartridge take it slow keep him entertained and tethered until used to it.I’m sure you will have a good fishing partner for along time.
    PS.Mike get a CAT.

Mike

Hate cats love dogs just don’t want them in the boat with me fishing.

slough

Never did do much to introduce my labs to the boat other than just bring them along. I remember my lab that is now two, the first time I took him when he was about 10 weeks old we got to the first spot and before I got my rod out he had fallen overboard. Scooped him back up no worse for the wear – Probably not the best way to introduce water razz but no ill effects. Can’t say they’re the best behaved in the boat as they like to get in your way when you are landing a fish and pounce on them in the net – miracle they haven’t had a hook in them. But, they’re part of the family and it’s tough to leave them at home but sometimes it is easier to do so.

Wallyhntr1
    Tonka

Witnessing a family dog catch a hula poppers treble hooks in the snout, taking 2 big boys to hold him down while a 3rd drove the barbs through to cut the hooks, while that dog screamed a blood curdling cry, kept me from ever considering a dog in my boat.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I get why people enjoy a dog in the boat once they’re trained to perfection. However I do not have the time to train any dog to be a full time boating partner. Maybe that’ll change when I retire.

For now, the dogs our family has had and may have again some day won’t ever be in the boat. Boats are expensive, vet bills are expensive, time is hard to come by, and the more simplistic I can make an outing the more likely I am to go out at a moment’s notice. Listening to a dog bark at fish or being worried about them jumping out of the boat during the training process sounds annoying at best, but to each their own.

Lou W

Put the pup in the boat a time or two while prepping or cleaning then take them out for a short bit a couple times.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Can’t say they’re the best behaved in the boat as they like to get in your way when you are landing a fish and pounce on them in the net – miracle they haven’t had a hook in them. But, they’re part of the family and it’s tough to leave them at home but sometimes it is easier to do so.

Completely agree. Its not for everyone that has a dog and has a boat. If it doesn’t work out, then it leaving them at home is a better option in certain situations. If the dog behaves and is relaxed out there, its good company.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

My golden loves to be in the boat but that’s because I always reward her with some swimming time. She doesn’t give a crap about fish or fishing. She’s always just waiting for the next swim.

jp

ThunderLund78

Acclimate them while it’s in your garage, sit in there with them for a bit. Then escalate to short rides, no fishing – just see how they react. once they acclimate to the actual ride, make some casts with some dummy weight or just a sinker in-case they decide to try and grab it on a backswing. Make sure they don’t think it’s fetch and they know to stay in the boat. Finally, catch a bluegill or perch and see what they do when it’s in the boat. My friend’s dog did great in the boat until a fish came on-board and then it went nuts – and that’s the worst time for the dog to go nuts. You don’t want a dog jumping around barking and nipping at big toothy fish while you’re trying to get it out of the net, unhooked, etc.

One more thing to consider, lots of things to get knocked over or knocked into the water (Beverages that might stain, tackle trays, phones, tools). And an unruly dog jumping around when it knocks over a tackle tray full of trebles is a recipe for disaster and can end your fishing day real quick.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

My dog loves the boat and fishing. I can tell you the one thing I did wrong. I tied a ball to one of my musky rods and would fight him in the lawn. Now every time I cast he wants to jump out after my lures thinking it is for him. doah

BigWerm
    SW Metro

One of the best things that happened accidentally with my lab was her first trip being around opener on a late ice out year, when the water was still in the upper 30’s. She jumped out of the boat, hit that icy water and turned right around and came back never to jump in, in the middle of the lake again jester . Somehow she also taught herself to go potty in the back transom area. And as a little pup bit a jig, thankfully it didn’t go past the barb, but she learned why I was always telling her NO when she was eyeing up a lure. So I guess I’d say just bring him, and be vigilant early on laying down the ground rules and they will learn quick.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I’m gonna agree with the unpopular vote here and say best to leave them at home, unless very well trained dogs can be a distraction at best and things can and will go bad at times. We got lucky a couple times fishing in Canada as our host on the island always brought his border collie with and there have been some close calls with crankbait boxes. Honestly one time I still can’t believe it did not come up with hooks in its paws. LOVE dogs just not in the boat.

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

Don’t do what I did. Took my young Lab along for a boat ride and first exsposure to water. Launched the boat. tied it to the float and told her to stay on front deck of boat while I parked the truck. She stayed as ordered until she saw me coming down the ramp. At that point she jumped out of the front of the boat to join me. She thought the water was a solid surface and was frightened when she went underwater instead of landing on the ground. Because of that it took a lot more work to get her comfortable in the water and doing water retrieves.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.