Tips for Cabin Fever

• Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Maybe I’ll try this and start listening to management and begin setting goals. So I’ll set a new goal to keep myself occupied with 1000 posts by the spring opener or bust. How come it’s seems like the posts counter has been stuck at 542? It’s too bad bust=carpal tunnel which will ruin by open water season. Just tell me to shut up and I’ll find something else to do. whistling

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I suspect the counter does not update in real time as it is a database design issue. Usually there is only one place to hold that data but often times, the routine or services needed to calculate the new total are scheduled to run daily, weekly or at some other time interval. These web application strategies limit the calculation or running of the services that do the calculation in order to keep the server(s) running at a higher performance during peak times. Something like that.

The other way to say this is, “It is a nerd thing”.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Ah, so you read through the lines and got the jest of my post? I’m a IT nerd too thus so much time here. I manage a fleet of hundreds of PCs that require 24/7 availability. Once I start a process I’m glued to a status bar until it completes successfully before I can move on so there’s always a window to the IDO world open somewhere.

If I make 1000 posts by the spring opener please take me out in a boat wrapped in a tight blanket with a weight attached. You’ll know what to do from there to get me to shut up!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I believe the counter was suspended. Mine has been at the same count for a long time. BK probably broke it whistling whistling

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Please, no more spam jokes. Not from IT guys anyways.

ET

Wharf Rat
    Mahtomedi

Can one of you IT guys explain why this site is so slow?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

I can guess. This site is based in WordPress technology. Normally a pretty snappy setup. However, the amount of customization of the site’s core functionality to make this site more fully featured is causing some delay. But I think the real big thing is the CDN or cloud services this site uses is particularly slow. The number of add-on scripts is also pretty large and as noted in the source rendered HTML, the scripts are pretty slow at over 1.5 seconds.

While using a CDN for storage is real cheap, it often results in slower performance for some sites. Depends on who your cloud provider is.

Also, and this gets nerdy, there are performance gains that could be had with the reduction of HTTP requests. This relates to all the images, scripts, and other page assets that are requested every time someone clicks a link. Small fixes like using image sprites could help. Then there is server caching. I’m no expert there but I suspect something could be done to cache the most frequently called assets to the local server instead of calling it from the Cloud every time.

So the nut of it is, IDO has a cool site with a lot of nice extras and those cost us all in a smaller delay in performance. Can you have cool AND fast? Yes, but that is probably out of the financial reach of a smaller media operation like IDO. I say enjoy the richer site, and be patient with a little lag.

Also, it is common for a newer Web application to focus on getting a fuller set of features released first and then spend a while improving its performance. ObamaCare ring a bell anyone? The last year has been billions spent just trying to improve its performance. Pretty standard Web app approach these days for most companies I have contracted with.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

JD, you sound like my boss…He’s a nerd-talker too, you guys would have some cool conversations that no one else would understand! Pretty sure I was lost shortly after “I can guess”, but I’m notoriously dense.
    My question: With all of these different companies creating all these extra cloud services out there, is the added precipitation considered a contributor to global climate change?

JD Winston
    Inactive
    Chanhassen, MN

My question: With all of these different companies creating all these extra cloud services out there, is the added precipitation considered a contributor to global climate change?

lol, good stuff Rev!

TripleA
    Blaine

haha fishermen complaining about slow websites after 12+hr fishing days to catch one or two! bawling

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

haha fishermen complaining about slow websites after 12+hr fishing days to catch one or two! bawling

Naturally. Cuts into our fishing time! grin

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Hey, somebody kicked the post counter! Back to that goal of 1000 or bust…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.