Tinnitus

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Heavy smoker friend who tried everything to quit. One visit to the acupuncture place and a few needle pokes in his ear and never smoked again.

I feel fortunate not to have the tinnitus problem. Probably should after all the metal concerts, shots fired, even stationed with an artillery battery when I was in the Marines.

-J.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

My ears are ringing this morning, the tinnitus bugs are whistling. Mine started a few years ago, was plinking with my buddies 1911. Emptied one mag, put in a new one, and fired two more times and suddenly it felt like someone stabbed me in the ears. I lost hearing in my right one for three days and what came back isn’t great. Oh well, learned my lesson the hard way. Now my ears ring and I wear hearing protection when I shoot.

AK Guy

Not sure if causation is correlation, but tinnitus happened to me when I got my covid shots. I’m not ruling it out completely because I sure cranked my 8 track player as loud as it could go when I was a teen.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Did the the relief last?

Well, that’s what I keep waiting for because any time something seems too good to be true… It’s been 3 weeks so far and the pain has not come back.

I can’t describe how freaking weird this was. I lay there and she put 2 needles in my middle back. I thought this was going to hurt like hell, but I didn’t even feel it other than the “push” pressure. She said most people experience a “dull ache”, but it didn’t really feel like that as much as like something “un-tensioning” in my back, but I thought that was just the needle. Then like 3-4 minutes of laying there and she said, let’s give it a test drive, so I got up and instead of grunting and straining in pain to get up from a lying down position like I had every day since last March, there was… nothing. The pain in my middle back was just gone, but I didn’t feel anything where I could pinpoint exactly when it went away if that makes sense, it just wasn’t there suddenly. Honestly, it was so freaky it took a while to process what had happened, I just couldn’t believe it.

So she did some needles on my lower back too and that was the same experience, it’s like I didn’t feel it go away, there wasn’t a “relief” feeling where I could say oh, I felt that work, it was just gone.

I don’t know how this works or whatever, but IMO for a chronic condition that doesn’t offer any other options, I can’t see any down side to trying it.

Rick Janssen

I think I had better clarify my statement. NOT in the INNER ear, but down in the ear canal a ways. When I look in those guys ears I can still see the piercing, but meant – not on the lobe almost like piercing the little nub that sticks out of your ear. Good luck

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m making an acupuncture appointment.

Lemme know when you’re going. I may join you and we can get group rates. woot

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Acupuncture helped mine out a bit. I’m a believer in it for a variety of reasons so it’s worth a try. You have to give it time though…like 6 appts in 6 weeks kinda thing.

High blood pressure is also a cause of tinnitus so that’s worth looking into. If you have high BP that’s not treated with meds getting on some meds may help.

My dad has had it for 30 years…working at the airport without ear protection. Only real cure has been hearing aids but that took awhile to get dialed in to match the frequency of his tinnitus.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Hmmmmm!
    Maybe that’s why my ears are ringing. crazy

Attachments:
    1. BP-scaled.jpg

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Another suffering here…. between hunting, motors, and starting out young in the construction industry I’ve struggled with it along time. Sure hope to hear some success with the acupuncture deal. Ear protection was never really pushed on me. I now have ear plugs and muffs everywhere for my kids.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

EPG, is that blood pressure machine in the bar?? shock

isu22andy

Oddly enough if I deny having it- it doesn’t bother me . When I read stuff like this – I can def hear the ringing.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

This really has me interested . Lenire by Neuromod https://youtu.be/LAu2cY64g7U?si=DCEzJcAaeGtOSBPq If this is for real i will be signing up . I am totally deaf in my left ear and have extreme ringing in both ears. Had a doctor tell me people like you commit suicide ! Not what i wanted to hear , life is short enough don,t want to make it any shorter .

Tom schmitt

I did a little google work. Turns out Harvard university did a study.
    Double blind study complete with placebo effect.
    They did find that acupuncture did reduce the severity of tinnitus in the majority of patients.
    It didn’t eliminate it but it did reduce it for a time.
    I didn’t see how long the effects lasted, but for those who try it, please post your results here.

B-man

I came across this article that was rather insightful.
    Scientists may have the key to treating tinnitus: Retrain the brain

That’s the same new break-through that Don posted above. Sounds super intriguing, but nobody has it near me.

I had my acupuncture appointment on Thursday, no change yet but it was super relaxing.

From my research it takes a minimum of three treatments to see if it will work at all. Going to keep at it for a bit and see if it’s for me.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Great thread! I find that if I listen for it, I can hear it, but often are the times I can’t say that I notice it. Between the concerts, 15yrs of gigging, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, gun shots, and factory jobs, I’m surprised that my hearing loss isn’t worse. I have used ear protection through at least 50% of my exposure to ear damaging decibels, so maybe there’s a little benefit there. I’m curious about the acupuncture as well, almost like, “what have I got to lose?”

I have decided that every new bing-bang from now on is going to come with a threaded barrel. I really like shooting with the “shooshers” on the end.

Tom schmitt

So it’s been a while, has to accupunter treatment done anything?

B-man

So it’s been a while, has to accupunter treatment done anything?

Not yet, but I’m told it could take up to 10 weeks (sessions) to notice a significant change.

The acupuncture itself is super relaxing.

OG Net_Man

Another suffering here…. between hunting, motors, and starting out young in the construction industry I’ve struggled with it along time. Sure hope to hear some success with the acupuncture deal. Ear protection was never really pushed on me. I now have ear plugs and muffs everywhere for my kids.

Hearing protection? This seemed non-existent when I grew up. I think hearing protection started about the time that helmets for bike riding became a thing. crazy

Tom schmitt

Hearing protection? When I was 17 my uncle refused to let me wear ear muffs while plowing corn without a cab.
    Said if the engine started to blow up I wouldn’t hear it.
    That was hearing protection back then.

wkw

Very interesting read. My hearing aids help some but am interested in the acupuncture. I guess you can get acupuncture for hemoroids even.
    They put the needles in the top of your head. Serious. Google it.

Tom schmitt

Bringing back the subject for an update.
    Has anyone had any kind of long term significant results?

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

seen a thing on the news the other day… they this set up where put on head phones connected to a phone sized gizmo.. the other line out of it has a thing you place in your mouth on your tongue…. do this for awhile and it supposed to help but at the end all I got was it’s not a cure or might not even help…

B-man

Bringing back the subject for an update.
    Has anyone had any kind of long term significant results?

I’ll officially say that acupuncture is helping mine. Not a cure by any means, but there is a bit of noticable improvement.

I’ve gone to 5 or 6 sessions and was hoping to do at least 10. With the lack of a real winter we’re putting buckets in the ground Monday and unfortunately I’ll likely have to stop with any consistency for now.

I did reach out to him yesterday and asked if he’d be able to do appointments at his house after I’m done with work (he lives close to my project), and he’s running it by his wife.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Thanks for the update B-Man. I’m thinking I’ll give it a shot.

B-man

I heard back from my dude, I’ll be able to continue on with weekly after hours appointments at his house by my project.

Most of the stuff I’ve read says people with 10+ treatments saw the best results, and I’m glad I don’t have to give up half way there.

EPG, for the record I HATE needles…like really hate them…

My first appointment I had sweat rolling down face. The second one not as bad. By the third and on it was business as usual.

Sharon
    SE Metro

So I’ve actually been experiencing tinnitus lately and it’s likely related to my allergies. But I decided to try acupuncture just for funzies and I’ve had two sessions so far and I think it’s helping. It’s hard to tell, as my tinnitus ebbs and flows and some days I ignore it better than others. Either way, I feel acupuncture actually comfortable and surprisingly relaxing! My first time I only had about 10 needles and today I had about two dozen and it felt great!

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240301_152440_Facebook.jpg

Tom schmitt

B man can you do us all a favor and after treatment 10 give us an update complete with a percentage guess on your improvement and the contact information for your acupuncturist?

B-man

B man can you do us all a favor and after treatment 10 give us an update complete with a percentage guess on your improvement and the contact information for your acupuncturist?

Absolutely will do

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.