Tilt trim seals – Yamaha showa unit.

• isu22andy

It appears the trim seal has given up in my 2005 Yamaha F150 outboard . Few YouTube videos out there – hardest thing looks like the trim cap removal otherwise it looks pretty straight forward . Looks like I’ll need a 60 dollar tool to take the caps off , and about a 90 dollar seal kit .

Am I missing anything here ? Do I need to do all the internal seals on the trim pump or just the caps seals and ram o rings? Looks pretty straight forward but want to make sure before I tear into it. Motor can’t have more than 400 total hours on it .

I see you can send em off to get to redone for 700 bucks . Any experience , horror stories , words of wisdom helpful . Bonus case of beer for anyone in Rochester that’ll lone me the tool .

MX1825

22andy

PM Sheldon he will give the straight scoop what to get or do.
    Great guy.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Few YouTube videos out there – hardest thing looks like the trim cap removal otherwise it looks pretty straight forward . Looks like I’ll need a 60 dollar tool to take the caps off , and about a 90 dollar seal kit .

FYI those pin spanner wrenches are $40 all day long including shipping on eBay. $60 sounds like the gold-plated Yamaha branded version.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

I repaired my 2001 vmax 150hp a few years ago. I still have the tool. I think I ordered my parts from SIM Yamaha. It was pretty straight forward and I used quicksilver power trim and tilt fluid. My symptom was the trim slowly going down while sitting in garage. However, I sold the boat about 3 months after doing the replacement.

Fred Garvin

One of my seals also went out on my 2005 F150 this spring.
    Purchased all the parts from Yamaha dealer for both cylinders, was going to purchase the spanner wrench from Amazon but decided to have a shop do it.
    Labor was less than $70.00 at Resort Marine in Walker marine, it was a no brainer. The tech that work on it said the caps were very tight.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.