Tightening oil filter – 2009 75 hp Mercury 4 stroke

• shockers
    Rochester

I was winterizing my boat this last weekend and after putting on the new oil filter realized it was pretty hard to get a good grip on it to tightened. Leaked a bit of oil after I started it to check. Got it a bit tighter by hand, but couldn’t get a filter wrench on it cuz of angle. Any tips from those who’ve changed out these oil filters before? I don’t want to over-tighten, but worried it’s not tight enough at the moment.

shockers
    Rochester

I may have to try a different tool. Tried one my neighbor had like that but hard to get a good angle on it. But I’ll investigate. Thanks.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have dipped the end of the filter you grip into truck bed liner before. It works well when you can only hand tighten in tight spots.
    Menards and fleet sell it by the quart, takes a day or 2 to dry.
    Its similar what Fram uses but much better to grip on.
    Does not exactly help you now but a tip for the future.

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2018-11-05-at-11.31.24-AM.png

2. Screen-Shot-2018-11-05-at-11.28.37-AM.png

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I just make sure the filter is dry and I use a clean hand. I can snug it with giant channelocks if I dont get a good grip.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Wrap some sandpaper around it and tighten by hand.

I’ve removed many stuck filters that way.

shockers
    Rochester

Great tips, guys. Thanks. Yeah, hand tightening is about my only option unless there’s some magical giant “socket” wrench type contraption I’m unaware of.

I’ll give the sandpaper a try.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I use one of those jar opening gripper thingamajigs.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Can you get a cap wrench on it?

They make sockets too.

shockers
    Rochester

That’s what I need. Some sort of socket/cap wrench type thingy.

rwilliam
    St.Paul, Mn

I bought one like this for my Yamaha and it works great. Got mine from a Yamaha dealer. However I have seen them at Fleet farm also.
    The strap type oil wrench that I used before was a very tight fit and I struggled getting the filter on and off.

Attachments:
    1. oil-Filter-wrench.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

First thing to check is did the old filter gasket come off with the old filter? Are you sure?

I’m worried you may have the old gasket stuck to the block and now you’re doubling up the gaskets with the new filter and that’s why it won’t seal. Make sure you check this!

You shouldn’t need a filter wrench to tighten an oil filter unless grip is really, really a problem because of the filter location.

For tight spots, I buy a pair of the latex-dipped gloves at Menards or Fleet Farm. Like these ones from Menards.

The fingers and hand have a sticky latex rubber coating that really lets you grip.

Otherwise, get a filter socket type wrench.

Grouse

shockers
    Rochester

Great suggestions, Grouse. I’ll take a look. I recall seeing the old gasket on the old filter, so don’t think that’s it, but will check.

and that socket option looks about what I’ll ultimately need

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.