Ticks, 2017

• mallardmayhem
    Spicer, MN

Found a tick on my new 8 week old lab last weekend from him running around in the woods. This was around Willmar, MN. Does anyone know how soon you can get puppies on some sort of pill like Bravecto? That is what I have run on my older lab and has worked just as well as Frontline.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Does anyone know how soon you can get puppies on some sort of pill like Bravecto?

Bravecto says 6 months.

mmitties
    SE MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mmitties wrote:</div>
    I’ve been buying my Frontline and Heartgard medicine from my vet but was wondering if anyone has found an online pet supply store that they like rather than purchasing from your vet or big box stores?

I buy Frontline at Sam’s Club and Heartguard Plus at Dr. Foster and Smith’s website: http://www.drsfostersmith.com. I don’t understand why vets feel they can justify charging so much for meds. Next time Menards has their 11% off sale I’m going to check to see what Frontline is there. It might be cheaper there with the 11% than Sam’s Club.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mmitties wrote:</div>
    I’ve been buying my Frontline and Heartgard medicine from my vet but was wondering if anyone has found an online pet supply store that they like rather than purchasing from your vet or big box stores?

I buy Frontline at Sam’s Club and Heartguard Plus at Dr. Foster and Smith’s website: http://www.drsfostersmith.com. I don’t understand why vets feel they can justify charging so much for meds. Next time Menards has their 11% off sale I’m going to check to see what Frontline is there. It might be cheaper there with the 11% than Sam’s Club.

Thanks Sharon I checked out Drs FosterSmith website and ended up buying a one year supply of Frontline for $135 which saves me quite a bit over what I was paying at my vet.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

$50 pill. All I could think of was how ticked off (pun intended) I would be if he threw it up!

Attachments:
    1. 20170303_184438.jpg

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

My pup re-eats his puke. Not pretty, but in this scenario practical!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ralph Wiggum wrote:
    Next trick for us is finding a dog food he loves, firms up his poo, and gets rid of stinky farts. I’ve been feeding him Nutrena Loyall Professional. He never really loved it. I’ve been topping it with a scoop of cottage cheese that seems to have helped his digestion problem a little but still not completely. A few days ago I started mixing in Purina Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice. He seems to love it and dives right in, usually before I completely put the bowl down which is a positive change. Only time will tell if it clears up his intestinal tract. I’m getting tired of trying to pick up mushy stinky piles. Sure wish our neighbors would pick up their nicer easier to handle piles. What makes people think that because it’s cold and was dark early they don’t need to clean up after their pets?

We have a Vizsla that we rescued 18 months ago. She came from a poor breeder originally so her pedigree is suspect. When we got her she came with some baggage–intestinal parasite,kennel cough, underweight, nd on Loose stools and enough gas to drive you outside in -30 degree temperature. Anyway we finally got her well and on track to good health. We now feed her Blue Basics limited ingredient dog food with a probiotic additive. Stools are firm and no more gas unless we give her too many treats. Also I have found a dog food with a lamb and rice or potato formula seems to help dogs with sensitive stomach or digestive tract issues. Give it a try.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Another thing that helps with loose stools is adding pure pumpkin to their food. I would not give dairy products to the dog until stools firm up.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

I just ordered Bravecto for my two dogs. Fingers crossed that it works well on ticks! It seems to get good reviews. I was surprised I didn’t need a prescription to order it from Joe’s Pet Meds.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I was surprised I didn’t need a prescription to order it from Joe’s Pet Meds.

They’ll likely contact your vet. It’s a prescription med.
    Though we haven’t been in the woods a ton, so far, Ripley’s been tick free on it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My poor dog had a tiny tiny tick imbedded on her eyebrow. Left half of it in her trying to remove. All the ticks she picked up last weekend were very small.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Was that on your pudelpointer? I’ll bet they’re tough to see on her. (

Reef W

Has anybody that’s used Vectra3D switched to Bravecto? I’ve used Vectra3D for 3 years now and it seems to work really well but it’s an external application. I like the idea of a chewable. Vectra3D’s big selling point vs others though is that it supposedly repels fleas and ticks in addition to killing the ones that bite while with Bravecto they have to bite. It’s been extremely rare that I find an embedded tick so I think the repellency works but I would be interested in how much of a difference somebody who has used both has noticed.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Was that on your pudelpointer? I’ll bet they’re tough to see on her. (

Not as bad as you would think in good light. She has no undercoat so a bright light or direct sunlight shows her skin pretty well.

When I picked her up at the groomer today one of the girls rushed out to confidentially inform me my girl had tick bites on her head. I looked at her like “so what” and told her I knew and am taking care of it. She thought it was breaking news.

badgerbacker

It seems like it is going to be a bad tick year. Had two woodticks latched on me and one on the boy, multiples on both dogs (including a deer tick) after a few hours shore fishing. To be fair, the leaf litter along shorelines always seems to hold a lot.

404 ERROR
    MN

Got a deer tick on my FACE over the weekend…luckily it was still crawling around. After a thorough half hour search on the pup and I, it was the only one I spotted…

Viewing 16 posts - 31 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.