Ticks, 2017

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Has anyone seen any ticks yet? I’ve heard second hand from a friend in SE MN that he’s gotten a few already. I plan on starting tick preventative soon.

We’re going to try Bravecto. 12-weeks of protection and no oily residue sounds great to me!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My buddy was shed hunting in the Pierz area this weekend and had 4 deer ticks. Which I though was crazy. Does this mean the ticks and mosquito’s have hatched and will die in the coming cold, making for a pest free summer!??!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Does this mean the ticks and mosquito’s have hatched and will die in the coming cold, making for a pest free summer!??!

Ha ha ha! Just keep telling yourself that.

Actually, here is some interesting info on the life cycle of a deer tick:

Most ticks are what we call three host ticks, that is, during their development which takes two years, they feed on three different hosts. All ticks have four stages to their life cycle: egg, larvae (seed tick), nymph, and adult. Let us look at the life cycle of the deer tick, as an example.

Adult female deer ticks lay eggs on the ground in spring. Later in the summer (depending on moisture and temperature), the eggs hatch into larvae. The larvae, which are smaller than the period at the end of this sentence, find an animal (the first host, which is usually a bird or rodent), live off its blood for several days, then detach and fall back onto the ground. For deer ticks, this most commonly occurs in the month of August. In the ground, the well-fed larvae now molt into the next stage and are called nymphs.

Each female tick lays approximately 3,000 eggs. The nymphs remain inactive during the winter months and in spring become active. The nymph now finds an animal (the second host – a rodent, pet, or human) and feeds again. Once well fed, the nymph detaches and falls back to the ground. Here it molts and changes into an adult. Throughout the fall, both adult male and female ticks now find another animal (the third host – a rodent, deer, pet, or human) and feed on blood and mate. Once well fed, both males and females fall back to the ground. The male now dies and the female lives through the winter and lays eggs in the spring, completing the cycle. If the adults cannot find a host animal to feed on in the fall, they will survive in the leaf litter until the next spring when they will feed, mate, and produce eggs.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Gross, I hate ticks. My same friend that posted that on FB was discussing how the amount of ticks has increased over the last 20ish years. Their theory for why, was because they used to do swamp burns, which is no longer allowed by the DNR. Based off your life cycle post, that would make sense, but curious about “swamp burns”….

404 ERROR
    MN

Found one this last weekend walking my property in Rosemount. After experiencing Anaplasmosis with my GSP, I give him Nexgard year round, just in case. The dog was absolutely miserable for 2 days, couldn’t walk, eat, drink or even stand. He would soil himself while laying down he was so weak. Never again.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It was so warm last week I was expecting to find a tick or two near my camper, but didn’t.

Not only do we give Woody a shot of tick and flea repellent, we hit our yard and around our camper with yard tick repellent. Helps keep the moles out of the yard too.

haleysgold
    SE MN

With the 15″ of snow we got around Rochester, I hope it melts and all the little ba$tards drown !!!

I hadn’t found any yet before we got dumped on…but then again…I forgot to look or spray. Dammit.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

It was so warm last week I was expecting to find a tick or two near my camper, but didn’t.

Not only do we give Woody a shot of tick and flea repellent, we hit our yard and around our camper with yard tick repellent. Helps keep the moles out of the yard too.

The yard tick repellent vs moles intrigues me. Is this something that is common knowledge concerning moles? Do you concentrate it over their holes or paths or??? Big mole issues at my place…

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

A coworker commented he found 3 ticks on his dog last weekend (East Central MN).

Nice Fella

I found first deer tick of the year on the pup Wednesday.

blackbay
    mn

Great, I’m all itchy now.

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Ralph, is Bravecto a brand new product? Any testimonials from hunters, etc.? Sounds interesting. I used the Saresto collars on my dogs last year and they seemed to work out, but I’d rather use a pill if possible.

saugeye-steve

I find deer ticks on myself in the dead of winter after walking on heavily used deer trails.
    The average white tail deer has about 50 on it at one time and they are always falling off and then new ones get on.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Ralph, is Bravecto a brand new product?

Looks like Bravecto was launched in spring of 2014. My friend and his wife are both vets. They use it on their dog, and their property has a lot of ticks. He said it works really well.

NexGard is another oral product, but it’s a monthly dose.

skinnywater

I’ve probably pulled about a dozen off in the last two weeks from the pup after a few long walks in the woods (St Croix Falls, WI area)

I am going to look into Bravecto too…as I need to get something on him this weekend.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Found one this last weekend walking my property in Rosemount. After experiencing Anaplasmosis with my GSP, I give him Nexgard year round, just in case. The dog was absolutely miserable for 2 days, couldn’t walk, eat, drink or even stand. He would soil himself while laying down he was so weak. Never again.

My Pointer pup also had a severe reaction that nearly killed him. Symptoms were similar to what your dog experienced. We switched to Frontline without any more problems.

mmitties
    SE MN

I’ve been buying my Frontline and Heartgard medicine from my vet but was wondering if anyone has found an online pet supply store that they like rather than purchasing from your vet or big box stores?

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’ve been buying my Frontline and Heartgard medicine from my vet but was wondering if anyone has found an online pet supply store that they like rather than purchasing from your vet or big box stores?

I used to use Frontline, but it is just expensive! A few years ago I did some research and switched to Fiproguard for about half the price. From what I could find, it was basically the same product. After using exclusively Fiproguard for 3 years now, I very rarely find any ticks on my lab and we live in the country where he commonly goes into both the woods and an upland grassy area. Not sure if it it still the cheapest product or website since I haven’t researched it in a few years, but at the time this site had it cheapest.

https://www.petsupplies.com/item/fiproguard-for-dogs-3-month-supply/496294/

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

I have used Bravecto for 2 years now on my chocolate. We also have a small lap dog that hasn’t used it. You can see a huge difference daily with the amount of ticks between the 2.
    I would give it my approval 100%

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My Pointer pup also had a severe reaction that nearly killed him. Symptoms were similar to what your dog experienced. We switched to Frontline without any more problems.

@databoy
    A severe reaction to what? Anaplasmosis is a bacterial infection transmitted by tick bites.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Rooster,
    The granules that repels grubs normally repels ticks as well. The grubs ect is what the moles are after. I’ve been using a tick and grub repellent on my whole yard up until two years ago. Last year was the first year in all that time I needed to pull out the mole trap because my neighbors mole were making it into my yard.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I buy Frontline at Sam’s Club and Heartguard Plus at Dr. Foster and Smith’s website: http://www.drsfostersmith.com. I don’t understand why vets feel they can justify charging so much for meds. Next time Menards has their 11% off sale I’m going to check to see what Frontline is there. It might be cheaper there with the 11% than Sam’s Club.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Gregg Pfeifer wrote:</div>

@databoy A severe reaction to what? Anaplasmosis is a bacterial infection transmitted by tick bites.

I gave him a Nexgard chew and shortly after he got lethargic, weak, couldn’t eat/drink and progressively got worse and worse. He got limp and I had to carry him to the car and cradled him on the way to the ER. My wife drove. Not liking round-a-bouts she took us around one erratically, my almost year old pup threw up on my lap. Part of the Nexgard came up with it and shortly after he rapidly improved in the ER though full recovery took several days while he was on a vet supplied canned food diet. His reaction was not from a tick bite. At 9 mo he got his first lyme vaccination. He’s a Pointer and it’s hard to keep his nose out of the tall grass. I live within the city limits and there’s as many ticks in town as he gets into in the deep woods of Marathon County in North-Central Wisconsin.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

You’ll see just as many similar complaints about Frontline, Advantix, etc. Dogs react differently, so if your dog reacts to Nexgard, it doesn’t mean that others will.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Our cabin is in an intense tick area. Even with Frontline our dogs get bit and some stay on long enough to fill with blood. I get bit several times a year too.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

You’ll see just as many similar complaints about Frontline, Advantix, etc. Dogs react differently, so if your dog reacts to Nexgard, it doesn’t mean that others will.

So far, so good with Frontline though as suzuki mentioned it’s not foolproof. He still gets a couple ticks on him at times but they don’t seem to dig in or die while on him. Ticks love his black capped head especially. Next trick for us is finding a dog food he loves, firms up his poo, and gets rid of stinky farts. I’ve been feeding him Nutrena Loyall Professional. He never really loved it. I’ve been topping it with a scoop of cottage cheese that seems to have helped his digestion problem a little but still not completely. A few days ago I started mixing in Purina Focus Sensitive Skin and Stomach Salmon and Rice. He seems to love it and dives right in, usually before I completely put the bowl down which is a positive change. Only time will tell if it clears up his intestinal tract. I’m getting tired of trying to pick up mushy stinky piles. Sure wish our neighbors would pick up their nicer easier to handle piles. What makes people think that because it’s cold and was dark early they don’t need to clean up after their pets?

haleysgold
    SE MN

I have used Bravecto for 2 years now on my chocolate. We also have a small lap dog that hasn’t used it. You can see a huge difference daily with the amount of ticks between the 2.
    I would give it my approval 100%

X2
    I’m on my 3rd year using it now on my lab and it’s great!
    Lasts 3 months and none of the greasy hair between the shoulders!

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

we still have snow on the ground, so no ticks yet… but as soon as the snow disappears, they’ll be back!!! Just got the Lab the Lyme shot, then I use a Equisect to spray on the dog… It is mostly organic, but its punch is .’01% Pymethrin. I can find this in animal store like farm & fleet or the like. It is actually meant for horse and keeping away flies, ticks etc…

She does still get them, but not mearly as bad and hopefully it keeps the bad drugs away. I have friend who have not had the best luck with Frontline and others…

Mark

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I get bit several times a year too.

Get yourself some of this!

Permethrin Tick Repellent

I was AMAZED at how well this stuff works. Having had Lymes Disease years ago, I used to douse myself in DEET. Better than nothing, but when form member KWP turned me on to this Permethrin stuff, I was absolutely stunned at how well it works.

You have to get used to the fact that you need to spray this stuff on clothing and then it needs time to dry, but once you treat clothing it works amazingly well. I have never found a tick on me after wearing clothing treated with this stuff. This will be my 3rd year of using it.

What I’ve found works well is I have certain clothes that I treat with this stuff after every wash. Then when it’s dry I put the clothes in my “cabin bag” and it goes with me every time, so I have treated cothing right down to my socks, work gloves, and hat. My turkey hunting clothing is also all treated.

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.