Throwable PFD in Minnesota

• Rod Bent

I’m getting caught up on this thread and want to give a huge shoutout to Suzuki. Good job, man!

bullcans
    Northfield MN

mine is always out and used as a seat cushion. When I have 3 or more ppl in the boat i pull out a 2nd throwable

Smellson

Been stopped more times than I can count. Only this past spring was I given grief about having my throwable in a compartment. Previously I had one coast guard tell me it couldn’t be buried underneath stuff in a compartment but in the compartment was fine. All the other times they’ve said as long as I can find it for them quickly it’s fine. Pool 4 sherrif this spring gave me grief about it being in the compartment but no citation. I fish by myself 90% of the time and don’t care to have more crap laying around the boat… plus it’s awfully tough to throw myself a throwable cusion. I’ve also been warned that my whistle must have a plastic ball inside and not cork…I love regulations

Smellson

Been stopped more times than I can count. Only this past spring was I given grief about having my throwable in a compartment. Previously I had one coast guard tell me it couldn’t be buried underneath stuff in a compartment but in the compartment was fine. All the other times they’ve said as long as I can find it for them quickly it’s fine. Pool 4 sherrif this spring gave me grief about it being in the compartment but no citation. I fish by myself 90% of the time and don’t care to have more crap laying around the boat… plus it’s awfully tough to throw myself a throwable cusion. I’ve also been warned that my whistle must have a plastic ball inside and not cork…I love regulations

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

mine is always out and used as a seat cushion. When I have 3 or more ppl in the boat i pull out a 2nd throwable

Glad to hear Im not the only one. You hit something while on plane good chance more than one person is going over. What if you miss through the 1st one? Im glad the regs only require one throw able. There is nothing stopping us from doing better than that on our own.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve also been warned that my whistle must have a plastic ball inside and not cork

Get the horn that uses compressed air. Beats a whistle any day!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

awfully tough to throw myself a throwable cushion.

But you can toss it to another boater that fell in as Suzuki did.

I fish by myself 90% of the time and don’t care to have more crap laying around the boat

I fish with one or two people mostly at night. the rule is there is nothing left on the floor. Too easy to trip and go ass over tea kettle in the drink.

I don’t understand why a PFD can be below deck but the damn throwable must be above deck. Most PFDs could be used as the throwable (not counting an inflatable of course).

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m guilty of not having my throwable handy. I try and wedge it between the side of the boat and a tackle box when I do remember. Think I’ll try and stick a big chunk of velcro on and see if that holds it where I want it.

I’m making progress though, I did have the tether hooked up for the first time ever last time out. grin

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

Just use a cheap plastic or metal spring clamp and clamp the throwable handle where ever in the boat you want so you don’t have to worry about it flying out. You can grab it and easily pull it off what it’s clamped to but it’s tight enough the wind won’t take it if you forget to put it away when you drive down the road.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.