Throwable PFD in Minnesota

• Dustin Tichy

I just read the post about Inflatable life vests and it made me think of asking you guys a question that has been on my mind.
    Per the regs, one USCG–approved throwable Type IV PFD must be on board boats 16 feet or longer (except canoes and kayaks) and immediately available in event of emergency. https://www.boat-ed.com/minnesota/studyGuide/Specific-PFD-Requirements/10102401_700079631/

I have known this for some time and I take the phrase “immediately available in event of emergency” to mean it can not be in a compartment. I always take my throw cushion out of the storage compartment when I put my boat in and place it on the floor with the net on it so it won’t fly out. When ever I get into someone else’s boat I never see a throwable out in the open.

What do you guys do? It would be nice to have a mount or something to hold it if it really needs to be out all the time. I understand requiring it to be out. If I fell in and needed something to save me I would not want to wait for the person to run up to the bow and dig through the compartment.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have never boated without a throwable in the open. We always have life vests out too even if not worn.

blank

I always pull mine out too when launching the boat, and either place it in-between my tackle box and the side of the boat, or sit on it.

I was checked twice in a weekend this spring on the Rainy River and they checked to see if the throwable was accessible.

Aaron Kalberer

Mine is always out, I have a vertical “wall” under my passenger console that I may Velcro it to so its out of the way. As of now it just sits on the floor.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

i place mine on the floor between the passenger seat and the console. hasnt flown out yet at any point.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

I just installed cargo nets under the consoles. I can keep my throwable there and jackets or sweatshirts under the other one

B-man
    Dustin Tichy

That inflatable throwable is pretty sweet but ouch, lotta cash!

B-man

Yeah, they’re pretty new and there’s not much, if any competition…..

I imagine in 5-10 years you’ll see the price go down and they will be more commonplace.

They’re small enough you could easily store it in the front of a glove box, where it would be out of the elements, yet readily available.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dustin Tichy wrote:</div>

They’re small enough you could easily store it in the front of a glove box, where it would be out of the elements, yet readily available.

You’re not going to spend the $85 for the holder?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That deployable model seems like a solution to a non-existing problem. At least not is your average fishing boat.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

When I get a chance I am going to velcro mine somewhere around the council. They do want to see it out in Minnesota.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I believe the boating regs specifically say that in a compartment is not considered readily accessible. I’ve always taken my throwable out of the compartment.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

It’s going to take me some time to find the CFR…but THROWABLE Type IV can be held in a compartment as long as it’s not locked.

The traditional PFD must be out of the compartment. MN and USCG rules. Your state may vary.

However, it doesn’t do anyone any good if it’s stored in a compartment. I have had mine attached to the snap on cover in the bow of my Lund. It’s in the passenger side stowing area of the Skeeter.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From 2015.

I’ll let someone else look up the CFR if they are interested enough. )

Below is an attempt by the MN DNR to answer the question of “Accessible” and “Immediately Accessible”. Keep in mind, this is only one portion of a ten page bill that needs to make it to the Governors desk for signing.

Sec. 48. RULEMAKING; PERSONAL FLOTATION DEVICES.

(a) To conform with changes in federal regulation, the commissioner of natural
    resources shall amend Minnesota Rules, part 6110.1200, subpart 3, as follows:

(1) delete the term “Type I, II, or III” and insert “wearable”;

(2) delete the term “Type IV” and insert “throwable”;

(3) delete items B and D and reletter the remaining items; and

(4) insert a new item that reads:

“C. All personal flotation devices required by this subpart must be:

(1) approved by the U.S. Coast Guard;

(2) legibly marked with any requirements and the approval number issued by the
    U.S. Coast Guard;

(3) in serviceable condition free of tears, rot, punctures, or waterlogging, and with
    all straps and fasteners present and in good condition;

(4) of the appropriate size for the intended wearer, if the device is designed to be worn,
    and in compliance with any requirements listed on the U.S. Coast Guard approval label;

(5) for wearable devices, either readily accessible or worn, except when:

(a) devices are required to be worn to be accepted as U.S. Coast Guard-approved; or

(b) wearing a U.S. Coast Guard-approved wearable personal flotation device is
    mandatory; and

(6) for throwable devices, immediately available.

“Readily accessible” means easily retrievable within a reasonable amount of time
    in an emergency. “Immediately available” means easily reached in time of emergency.
    Personal flotation devices located in locked containers, under heavy objects, or left in
    shipping bags are not considered readily accessible or immediately available.”

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Looks like I need to brush up on MN’s Boating Regs!

• One Type IV throwable is required on
    boats 16 feet or longer
    (except canoes and
    kayaks) and must be
    immediately available.
    • Personal watercraft
    operators and passengers
    must each wear a life jacket.

OTHER FACTS ABOUT LIFE JACKETS
    • The life jacket must be of the appropriate
    size for the intended wearer.
    “Readily accessible” means easily
    retrievable within a reasonable amount of
    time in an emergency.
    Life jackets in sealed
    bags, under heavy objects or in locked
    containers are not accessible.

Page 9 of the MN 2019 Boaters Guide.

That wording makes no sense to me…but it’s not the first time!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

§ 175.19 Stowage.
    (a) No person may use a recreational boat unless each wearable PFD required by § 175.15 is readily accessible.

(b) No person may use a recreational boat unless each throwable PFD required by § 175.15 is immediately available.

[USCG-2013-0263, 79 FR 56499, Sept. 22, 2014]

Clear as mud.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

so reading that if the compartment where my life jackets are stored in the boat is not locked then it qualifies as readily accessible? if its locked then it does not qualify…..

catnip
    south metro

I hang mine over the rod holders. Easy to get at easy to see and completely out of the way. I also hang the wearable pfd on the fence of my pontoon by 1 buckle. The copers dont usually give me a second look as they can see all of them from a little ways off.

uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

I always remove mine from the front compartment and put it on the drivers seat!
    It sits a little low anyway.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Anecdote: I’ll never forget his eyes. My buddy and I were fishing the Croix and passing some teenagers out in the current playing around when they all realized they were out too far. 2 of the 3 were strong swimmers and we’re able to make it back to safe water but the 3rd kid was not. I was watching the whole time and knew the moment he panicked. He was instantly terrified and the current was strong. My throwable was right there on the boat floor and I threw it to him. After easing back we hauled him into the boat and he was shaking badly and completely out of strength. We drove him back to his friends with a few kind but firm words. I’m glad that throwable was handy or I would have went in after him and things could have turned dangerous.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Something else to keep in mind. As captains of our boats we know where everything is in case of a emergency. But do our passengers? Very important to take a minute while the motor is warming up to go over things every time in case something bad should happen to us and we are relying on those passengers.

pass0047
    Pool4

I keep my throwable in front compartment and I pull it out half way and have hatch pushed down on it to keep it from flying away. Checked several times on p4 and ok by mn warden.

Gordio

They’ve never given any guff over the throwable being in the front compartment with the life jackets.

No, it’s not the safest option, but it is what it is.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

The throwable in my boat has a two loop handles and I just place one over the throttle control. CO’s and Water Patrol have never questioned the location.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Something else to keep in mind. As captains of our boats we know where everything is in case of a emergency. But do our passengers? Very important to take a minute while the motor is warming up to go over things every time in case something bad should happen to us and we are relying on those passengers.

Great Point Duchy!

I’m required to have a safety checklist to go through just after leaving the dock. It points out what to do if they fall overboard, where things are in the boat like first aid kit, urinal THROWable and so on. And just don’t panic!
    Then an emergency checklist in case something happens to me.

The emergency list doesn’t consist of much other then making sure the boat is anchored out of the channel if possible and use channel 16 and 14 asking for help followed up by a 911 call if service is available.

BORGHY
    NULL

We were checked on the opener last year and asked to see our licenses, fire extinguisher, life jackets and the throwable. We had the throwable in the center compartment and he informed us it has to be accessible and not in the compartment. He was very nice, did not fine us but gave us the heads up.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

From the Minnesota Pool 4 CO.

Brian,

All CO’s are on the same page when it comes to lifejackets, just as the State Patrol is with seatbelts.

Wearable lifejackets need to be readily accessible, meaning they can be stored in an unlocked compartment.

Type IV devices must be out in the open while you are on the water, whether you are underway or anchored. Type IV’s may not be in a compartment.

Generally, if a boat is being checked and the type IV is found to be in a compartment, the occupants of the boat are informed that the type IV needs to be in the open and that they need to leave it out while on the water.

Citations may be written if there is no type IV or not enough wearable PFD’s on board.

Hope the fish have been biting for you!

Conservation Officer Brittany Hauser
    Red Wing Station | Division of Enforcement

I sure would of thought it was the other way around

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I stick my throwable under my casting deck that is open on the back side with the handle sticking out. Fire extinguisher is mounted behind my seat. Both are with in arms reach when I am driving the boat. Dutchboy has a great point about pointing this stuff out to guest.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Most of the time Im sitting on 2 of them. Very common to see 3 out in my boat. They make for a little more padding on worn seats. If not sitting on the they are on the front deck with the loop in a closed hatch to hold it.

It might just be me but one throwable is not enough in the boat. If 2 guys go over who gets the throwable?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.